3400 rehbuild

Chris2012

I can swing a wrench as good as any you, just not a lot of (or make that none) experience with removing or dismantling major engine components. I am schmott though.

Not sure if it's better to rebuild or just buy (I'm in NJ). No way to really pick up an engine if I bought one, so would need it delivered in that event.

I did a number on mine. Overflushed, waited too long to change gaskets. Low oil pressure (intermittent, particularly when idling), noisy, lifters etc. Generally makes noise only after heating up, sitting in traffic (not long). But after putting 10w40, it just seems to have goteen worse.

I guess a lot of this could be on account of crud finding it's way into narrow passageways. Or I should be so lucky. I put Pennz HM 1040 upon recommendation. I think it made the situation worse not better (which could make sense if passageways were already restricted I guess). Liked using it for short runs, but that's not even much of a possibility anymore. Unless I go back to 10w30. And maybe some MM oil?

I'm mainly concerned w/the lower part of the engine (except for the gaskets). Could find a 500$ engine somewhere, but how to get it here, etc.

Oh, it's not a w, but rather a 2001 Venture. Don't hate me please.

Looking to buy something else for now, this Le Sabre about 90 minutes away looks so nice. Am torn between fixing or buying. I will eventually fix the Venture, but later or sooner.

Edited by Chris2012

I'm a fan of rebuilding if possible. A junk yard motor has unknown history. Rebuilding makes it good as new. But you'd likely need to bring the crank and block to be machined anyway. Home Depot rents vans and pickups pretty cheap.

I'm a fan of rebuilding as well. Rebuilt more than my share of MGB and Triumph motors over the years. Get yourself a GM W Body shop manual and study it, then start tearing it down.

After parts and time to rebuild the motor, it would be cheaper to get a junkyard motor..get it from a yard with a warranty and you will be fine...no offense, it's not worth the time and money for a mini van..3400s go for 300bucks all day...swap the lim gaskets before you put it in and be done in a day.

.3400s go for 300bucks all day...

I'm not in Illinois pardner (I looked quick, maybe it was Indiana). The local yard quoted me 750$. Not the end of the world really (well, I am only working part time...).

Thing is you could get a piece of crap engine. Better that I found someone parting out something on craigslst I think.

I'll need to change the gaskets regardless? Oi vay.

In a day. LOLOLOLOLOLOL. Me, it would take the better part of a week. I said I could swing a wrench, don't mean I'm a fast swinger.

But I didn't hear anyone giving any suggestions about my current engine. Feelings, thoughts, dreams, aspirations...

Still love this board. I think I liked the old look better though. I'm 48 and I got to squint, and the dark background don't make it easier.

I'm not in Illinois pardner (I looked quick, maybe it was Indiana). The local yard quoted me 750$. Not the end of the world really (well, I am only working part time...).

Thing is you could get a piece of crap engine. Better that I found someone parting out something on craigslst I think.

I'll need to change the gaskets regardless? Oi vay.

In a day. LOLOLOLOLOLOL. Me, it would take the better part of a week. I said I could swing a wrench, don't mean I'm a fast swinger.

But I didn't hear anyone giving any suggestions about my current engine. Feelings, thoughts, dreams, aspirations...

Still love this board. I think I liked the old look better though. I'm 48 and I got to squint, and the dark background don't make it easier.

Where are you located? car-parts.com can help your search..any grand am, wbody, 3100 or 3400 will work same block just different intakes iirc.

How many miles on current motor? It sounds like it's toast if you have low oil pressure and noise. Could be a collapsed lifter but the low oil pressure is not a good sign.

I have replaced a dozen of these motors in grand ams and impalas with junk yard replacements and the ones I still own or know of are all running great.

For a mini van you have to drop the cradle and lift the car off the drive train and slide it out..so usually that's easier with proper tools and hoists but all good.

Lim gasket kits are 80bucks..to get a engine rebuilt and block cleaned, gasket set, headbolts, etc your looking at 500bucks easy or more in parts. The 3100/3400s there are tons out in yards as it was used in many applications for many years.

Im in NJ.

But if there was wear inside the engine, due to flushing like crazy, or removing crap that was keeping metal parts from wearing (weird, but that's what they say), a heavier oil should help things a bit I would have thought (so did a lot of experts). But it just made it worse, to the point the noise doesn't really go away (haven't started it in a few days). Before, even after idling in traffic, and panicking over all the noise, I'd park it, leave it alone overnight, and no noise when starting it the next day. But not w/the 10w40.

Then there's the thumping after driving it for a while (w/o idling). Would seem to drive fine more or less, but there would be that light thumping after parking it. O man, why me!

I agree on the dark background. I'm 35 but its still hard on my eyes.

I've used junk yard motors, too. But I'd still rather rebuild my old one.

As far as your old motor, Noises are hard to diagnose online. If you have a bottom end knock, it's toast. Messing around with additives and thicker oil might buy you a couple hundred miles of run time if you're lucky. It won't fix the problem, just hide it.