Heartbeat1991

I am in the process of rebuilding Galen's TGP transmission. He had no 4th gear. After taking it apart, it's obvious why. The 4th gear clutch was all tore up. I never seen one like that before. But I don't have a lot of 4T60 experience either. The clutch material was gone. It was all metal to metal. The confusing part is that the clutch teeth were bent up pretty bad and the whole things seems to have been spinning in the outside of it's carrier. ( See pics ). I have yet to do much digging for parts. . .But, does anyone know if that clutch career is going to be ok to re-use? And what caused this? What else should I be looking for? It seems to me that something had to have been bound up to cause this. But I have no idea how.post-9474-143689185177_thumb.jpg

post-9474-143689185118_thumb.jpg

post-9474-143689185139_thumb.jpg

post-9474-143689185154_thumb.jpg

post-9474-143689185166_thumb.jpg

to end up with those kinds of marks on the 4th hub, seems like it would have to grab super hard. hard enough to tear the fiber plates apart? maybe the teeth folded over at the same time?

I found that the hub is pretty widely available. I bought one for $39 shipped. The trust washer was $.99 plus shipping.

I have no idea how it happened. The material was completely gone on the clutch plate. The steel backing for the clutch was a little warped, and both that and the steels have evidence of metal to metal groves.

The teeth on the clutch where it fits that hub are all torn up, as the clutch was obviously spinning around the hub. I am just not savvy enough on the workings of this trans to figure out why that would happen. I don't know if there's an underlying problem that caused this.

The teeth on the clutch where it fits that hub are all torn up, as the clutch was obviously spinning around the hub. I am just not savvy enough on the workings of this trans to figure out why that would happen. I don't know if there's an underlying problem that caused this.

Hmmm. Can't exactly drive drop in fourth gear... Otherwise, blame the driver!

From what i've read its pretty common to have to replace the 4th hub shaft when 4th goes out and I would guess that what happened here isn't to uncommon since alto has a "improved design" bent tooth clutch pack for 4th, which is what dave from triple edge performace

Said I should use.

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2

i also am missing 4th although i have yet to start the teardown, im not sure about my situation but i know it leaked and got really low on fluid when it started slipping but im wondering if maybe dropping it into manual 3rd going down the highway and shenanigans full boost pull for a second or 2 then letting off the gas and slipping shifter back to 4th had anything to do with it since i do that every now and then....