GM On-star - big price hike

GM-midsize-guy

I got the basic Safe and Sound On-Star package on my 2008 LaCrosse.

It started at 18.95 a month, then it went to 19.95 a month, and I just glanced at my statement and it has gone to 24.95 a month.

I thought that maybe I hit the wrong button on line and accidentally updated. Nope. They have revised the plans and enhanced the basic one. That's a 25% increase - that's fairly drastic.

Do you have On-Star? Any suggestions as to whether to keep it or drop it? I have AAA as it is.

I never had onstar on my cars and if I ever bought one that did, I'm taking the module out. Yes Onstar is useful for when you get your car stolen or get into an accident but I would hope you're smart enough to avoid an accident or get some sort of anti theft device on your car. I personally wouldn't use onstar.

I avoid spyware on my computer. Why do sheeple pay for it on their automobiles?

Lot's of reasons, I'm sure. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it doesn't make sense for others to have it.

I keep OnStar on the HHR, mostly because since I travel so much, it makes it much easier on my wife if there's problems. Automatic help in the event of an airbag deployment means even if she can't speak after an accident, someone is on the way.

My cars are too old to have it, but I don't travel hardly at all so I wouldn't get it even if I could. I have the local tow truck company on my speed dial and so far that's been good enough.

Probably would just get AAA or something like that if I traveled a lot, though I'm not even too certain what that is.

Can a person deactivate their membership to On-Star and then get it back if they don't touch or remove anything on the car related to On-Star?

If they're moving to an area with more thefts, stuff like that?

I guess I meant I keep it because I travel a bunch, and my wife is back home driving the HHR...that keeps some level of help for her when I'm not around.

And, yes, they're all too happy to reactivate an OnStar account, as long as the equipment is still in place. They're happy to take your money. :lol:

Besides theft recovery, I don't see what OnStar does that your phone can't already do for you (get directions to nearest whatever, call for help, etc). And if theft recovery is important to you, Lojack has a 90% recovery rate with an MSRP of $700. At $24.95 per month for OnStar, you could pay for the Lojack system in just over 2 years. Or, if you're handy, you can make your own:

http://lifehacker.com/5984220/build-your-own-lojack-clone-for-a-fraction-of-the-price

I don't have Onstar anymore, came with my Camaro, but the GPS is better than your phone. I ran into a couple situations that really helped me out:

--Fatal accident in a high crime unfamiliar neighborhood... I was able to talk to the live rep to have them find me a route around instead of my GPS trying to keep getting me back on the closed road. Good luck having SIRI try to do that. While trying to get the hell out of said neighborhood.

--when in saint Louis, I was able to ask the rep to route me to the closest parking garage to the arch, where as your phone will take you to the actual arch... Not super helpful.

In both instances it is nice talking to a real person. They confirm the address and mileage/time so that you can tell if it sounds off. And the ability to input these directions safely while you drive without having to look at your phone is huge IMO.

My beef is that the don't let you ONLY buy directions, you have to get the safe and sound package too, and since I have AAA I didn't think was absolutely necessary.

GPS in car systems are coming down in price, but if you think about the price, you get many months (years) of Onstar service before exceeding the cost of an in car nav system.

Everyone thinks I'm crazy because, yes, your phone can give give you directions, but to me, it doesn't come close to the quality of an in car nav/Onstar system.