Power accessories on W-bodies over the long-haul, generally speaking.

GM-midsize-guy

Hi:

My 2008 LaCrosse CX came with all the power accessories on it (windows, locks, seats).

My early 90s Regal did not (the locks were standard, but mine had manual windows and manual seats). I didn't want to deal with any hassles. My 84 Cutlass Supreme (RWD) had several problems with both the power windows and the power seat as it got older and I was not at all happy with that.

Have the power accessories on W-bodies gotten better and more reliable? I would think so. Now even more basic cars like Chevy Cruzes and Ford Focuses come with power windows standard.

Any feedback from folks with W-bodies from 1995 to 2005 as to how power accessories which you couldn't work around manually (such as windows) have been holding up?

Thanks.

95 monte carlo, power windows and locks(not seats or mirrors): passenger lock has always been funny, generally able to lock, but not unlock, no idea why. the window on that side is also noticeably slower than the driver's side, but otherwise works. a while ago, there were some weird events where the window would stop dead, but a couple of minutes later, acted normally. they have circuit breakers in them, so I imagine that caused it. this car suffered some kind of hit on the passenger side really early in its life though.

driver's side stuff works perfectly. I had to tear apart the switches to rebend the contacts for less dramatic button presses, but otherwise perfectly fine.

Put it this way: Anything with enough use is going to have a failure. Later models usually have window regulator cables failing after a while. Technically the cable can be replaced, but you'll likely have to tackle that yourself as any shop will want to replace the entire assembly. It's just simpler/quicker to replace a part rather than repair it most of the time.

My W-bodies are exempt because they're all too old, but as a testament to the reliability of W-body power accessories, I've never had a power window regulator go bad, ever, in the 21yrs I've owned W-bodies. Never a problem with power seats either. I did have to change a power window regulator on the 88 back in the 90s, but it came with a bad spot on it when the wife bought it (chewed up teeth on the regulator) which just got worse over time. The car was previously wrecked/abused.

Locks, the driver's one keeps quitting on my 89 when it gets cold. I have to lube the linkage to make ti work in cold weather, but I avoid driving it in the winter. No problems with locks in the 94 or TGP when I had it.

No problems with power seats so far in any of them.

Power mirrors on my 89 just quit. Haven't bothered to diagnose it yet, since they're currently in perfect position so no urgency there.

I prefer to have power accessories. They seldom go bad on any car I've ever had.