Evap leak p0440 troubleshooting help

Zeekiel Aussenseiter

I got a 99 lumina 3.1 with a evap leak code.I have replaced purge solenoid,gas cap,filler neck, canister purge vent in that order and code keeps triggering. Code is getting triggered after I burn past 1/4 tank from stenting drive cycle but will not complete room I get the error. Have check over all hoses and not seeing any cracks. Any help would be helpful.

After replacing my filler neck which was rotted my gas guage moves when putting in and it off park which didn't do that originally bought car second hand. Idle rpm is at 700 maf .5 lb/m each fix has increase to 800 with .6 to .8 then after driving turns to 700 on idle

From what I have read about the evap leak problems(from repair manuals) that can't be nailed down, you might have to find a shop with a smoke machine that can diagnose this type of problem. I think they use smoke and dye to find the leak. There might be other ways to do it, but I don't know about them, so I am all ears.

Have you replaced the associated hoses to all those components? With fuel friendly lines? You may have an issue with the wiring harnesses or connectors with those components as well.

I have looked over the hoses while replacing them the purge solenoid I can heart working canister I'd have to look. Car not with smoking since how much it cost to do.

I suspect English might not be his primary language....Zeekiel, where are you located?

Did I understand correctly you do NOT see the P0440 unless you have less than 1/4 tank of fuel remaining?

Do you smell fuel around the car anywhere when the check engine light comes on? This may help you have a rough idea of where to look.

Edited by Galaxie500XL

Do sometimes have scent of gas randomly. I do have lower manifold gasket leak that is very minor at the moment. But not trying to fix that til error solved

My purge solenoid I had to put a new hose that is very tight on the end going from solenoid to gas tank. Which might be constricting the vaccum as the original boot is slowing air passed the seal of the nipple. No local auto part store has it and told it don't exist?

If you smell gas then recheck the hoses, it sounds like you have a leak on one of these. Also check the purge canister at the back of the vehicle. Should be on the drivers side behind the bumper cover quarter panel area and is a large black cylinder.

Been wanting to my straps are rotted been trying best not to have to pull but egr and vapor canister last 2 things to even think of trying. Any easy way to test vapor canister. Sent valvr has been replaced on it hose from that looked to be in good condition. Not noticing any cracks or holes in the lines.

Pulled my vapor canister it is holding pressure like it should and air is passing through the vent holes. The vent valve fornit has already been replaced too any other thoughts. All hoses seem in good shape.