Steering Rack

kissmyss

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=class: row1, bgcolor: #485165]My rack is starting to leak, nothing major just wet in certain places. No drips or apparent loss of fluid either. I'm thinking about replacing it, but not sure if I should go after market with a lifetime warranty or get it from the dealer.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Who makes or rebuilds the racks the dealer sells?

First Guess: GM isn't selling GM-manufactured racks. GM isn't selling GM-remanufactured parts. GM is selling new or reman racks supplied by the SAME companies that sell in the aftermarket. The only GM thing about the dealer-sourced parts is the cardboard box they ship in. For the privilege of buying from a GM Dealership, you get raped on price and have to accept a shorter warranty.

If I'm wrong--If GM still sells new racks, made by GM in the USA or Canada...things might be different.

The deed is done, steering feels tighter and a noise that plagued me for years is gone. Here's the procedure I used after reading various posts and watching You tube videos.

I did the usual put the car on jack stands.I placed the stands at the front of the sub-frame, most people said don't support the vehicle by the sub-frame since it needs to be lowered. I saw a picture where someone lowered the rear sub-frame with the front supported and decided to give it a try. My sway bar wasn't all that bad, but decided to replace it now rather than later. First I moved the drivers seat forward, put the seat belt through it and then moved the seat back to keep the steering wheel straight. I disconnected the sway and with a little finesse I removed it through the drivers side. Once the bar was removed there seemed to be enough room to remove the rack without dropping the sub-frame. The sub-frame bolts were unobstructed, so why drop the frame. I removed the steering shaft bolt, power steering lines, outer tie-rods, rack bolts and removed the rack through the drivers side. I counted the number of grooves on the inner tie-rods, to be used as a reference when placing the outer tie-rods on the new steering rack. I placed both racks next to each other for comparison and noticed the steering shaft connection wasn't oriented the same. So I turned the the shaft on the new rack to match the old one. This helps keep the steering wheel centered. Once mounted further adjustment may be necessary when attaching the steering shaft. The only problem I had during the removal was the power steering lines. They had to be removed from the top through the engine compartment. The wrench I had only allowed limited movement, stubby's would have been better. I plan on purchasing some in the future.

AC Delco rack;

2015-06-17%2019.25.23.jpg

Dorman Sway bay;

2015-06-18%2010.16.35.jpg

Seat belt around steering wheel;

2015-06-18%2001.46.32.jpg

Leaking rack;

2015-06-17%2022.38.00.jpg

Sway bar removed;

2015-06-18%2012.04.21.jpg

Sway bar and rack removed.Notice sub-frame is still attached;

2015-06-18%2001.45.07.jpg

2015-06-18%2001.44.30.jpg

2015-06-18%2001.43.51.jpg

New and old rack. The plastic piece the boot connects to was no longer attached to the rack before I removed it. This appear to be the original rack as indicated by the sticker.;

2015-06-18%2001.43.31.jpg

Shaft orientation before;

2015-06-18%2001.47.00.jpg

After;

2015-06-18%2001.48.26.jpg

Various pictures;

2015-06-17%2022.38.26.jpg

2015-06-18%2001.43.22.jpg

2015-06-19%2012.35.14.jpg

2015-06-18%2001.43.06.jpg

Just check the ratio...if its 13.2:1 its the right rack
How does one go about checking the ratio? Do you disassemble it and count the teeth on the rack as compared to the teeth on the pinion gear? How does this compare to turns lock to lock?I get the whole faster/ quicker ratio thing, but how is it measured? Or is it just stamped on the rack somewhere?

How does one go about checking the ratio? Do you disassemble it and count the teeth on the rack as compared to the teeth on the pinion gear? How does this compare to turns lock to lock?I get the whole faster/ quicker ratio thing, but how is it measured? Or is it just stamped on the rack somewhere?

You look up specs for the part number. And turns lock to lock really has nothing to do with the ratio....its just platform and tire size specific. Your car has a 13.2:1 ratio stock

Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. The rack installed from the drivers side. The Dorman sway bar installs from the passengers side, remove the passenger side rotor for more clearance something I didn't do. I installed and torqued everything down before I connected the steering shaft.

Besides leaking, this is what I was experiencing;

Another video;

Everything's fine so far and I'm happy with the new car feel. Here are some additional pics;

Distance between tie rod and sway bar

2015-06-27%2009.03.55.jpg

Distance between down-pipe and sway bar. only the tip of my pinky finger fits between the two, don't know if I'll have enough clearance if I switch to a 3 inch down pipe.

2015-06-27%2009.04.07.jpg

2015-06-27%2009.04.37.jpg

• 3 years later...