Would it be possible to use headers from a 3.8 on a 3.1?

Elias1552

I was wondering if it would be possible to use the headers from a 3.8 in a 3.1 sense the two engines aren't the different. Maybe some port matching would be required, but what about the bolt pattern. Has anyone tried this before?

3.8 = Buick design, engine family first used early '60s.

3.1 = Chevy design, engine family first used in model year '80.

Both engine families have had significant revisions, the Buick more than the Chevy. If they share anything, it'd be more by coincidence than intent.

The only thing you can use from a 3.8 on the 3.1 is the ignition coil packs. Everything else is way too different.

Also, the 3800 is a Buick design, the 3.1/3100 is a Chevy design. The 3800 is based off of a V8 Buick and has had a lot of revisions whereas the 3.1 is a bored out 2.8, which in itself was a clean design for the 1980 Chevrolet Citation and its platform mates, the Olds Omega, the Buick Skylark and Pontiac Phoenix. It was supposed to be a V6 for the smaller cars. The 3800 ended up being used where GM would normally use a V8.

The only thing you can use from a 3.8 on the 3.1 is the ignition coil packs. Everything else is way too different.

Also, the 3800 is a Buick design, the 3.1/3100 is a Chevy design. The 3800 is based off of a V8 Buick and has had a lot of revisions whereas the 3.1 is a bored out 2.8, which in itself was a clean design for the 1980 Chevrolet Citation and its platform mates, the Olds Omega, the Buick Skylark and Pontiac Phoenix. It was supposed to be a V6 for the smaller cars. The 3800 ended up being used where GM would normally use a V8.

Actually the starter and oil filter also interchange...

Actually the starter and oil filter also interchange...

Apparently so do the 5x120 Camaro rotors on the FWD 5x115 cars. It's really not saying much other than the fact that GM always finds a way to be cheap.

Yeah, but if you're serious about headers on your 3.1, you should contact Milzy Motorsports or WOT Tech. They specialize in that kind of stuff.

IIRC there was something I remember reading about 60 degree engines and I think I read that you can use two front 3500 V6 manifolds and a custom crossover and downpipe and how that route was about the best way to go about the header issue. The issue being there isn't any headers that work on a W-body other than those pacesetters. I do recall there being a set for the 3.1 V6 in the J-body Cavalier, but that was awhile.ago.

Milzymotorsports.com is awesome at getting back to you with feedback, you catch them on a good day and they through all kinds of suggestions your way. WOTtech.com is good as well but I haven't shopped there much just yet.

i'm sure you have..... but there must be some reason they don't share a common part number. does one draw more current than the other? does one spin faster for a given load? does one operate with less noise? etc.

i'm sure you have..... but there must be some reason they don't share a common part number. does one draw more current than the other? does one spin faster for a given load? does one operate with less noise? etc.

Only dif ive seen is the size of the starter motor itself....3800 starter is about a half inch longer. Before i did the l67 swap i crosschecked pns at oreillys....turns out when you buy a new starter for a 3100 they give you one for a 3800. So i just used the lifetime garrantee starter from my old 3400 lol