Want to ensure that AMY is not have Vats issues (and just bad grounding) . . .

Breakdown

For those whom have had the pleasure or lack of pleasure with dealing with Vats issues. I'm just wondering if I can get some details.

50% of the time that I put the key into the ignition and turn to accessory, the car dies completely won't even try to start. Doors lock/unlock with hard snap (indicating good battery life) 100% of the time. The battery installed is not even a year old (straight out of AJAM), I had the car die once while running but the challenge seems to be 100% getting power in accessory and then she'll turn over (and turn over strong).

Any ideas?? I'm going to take a wire brush to the terminals and pretty much everything else tonight if I have a moment (I haven't been feeling well so not much is getting done lately).

I would hope the vehicle is properly grounded with all 4 wheels on the ground and even torqued to spec. However a battery that is failing can cause all kinds of issues, I`d have it tested. Just because they hold a charge and crank the engine doesn't mean they are always good.

the VATS relay can do all of this, but so could the module itself. does the security light pop on/stay on with the key rolled forward(not cranking)?

the VATS relay can do all of this, but so could the module itself. does the security light pop on/stay on with the key rolled forward(not cranking)?

If it doesn't work 100% of everything is dead when you roll the key forward, headllights, dash, radio, everything. The only thing that works is the courtesy lights and the door locks.

If it's on I haven't noticed the security light, it was coming on occasionally a few years back, so I changed the key and that stops.

My old '96 Cutlass did something similar. I believe I cleaned the terminals and the AUX post (and a good tighten on that!) and that seemed to take care of the issue. And I believe I cleaned the chip in the key. I was working in a tool and die shop and was around a lot of dirt/grit so I figured it couldn't hurt.

My old '96 Cutlass did something similar. I believe I cleaned the terminals and the AUX post (and a good tighten on that!) and that seemed to take care of the issue. And I believe I cleaned the chip in the key. I was working in a tool and die shop and was around a lot of dirt/grit so I figured it couldn't hurt.

Keys seem good, car seems good.

Took everything off, wire brush, re-assembled, have driven AMY around lots, stop go, car on, car off, she seems to be a happy camper now. Still no security light, so I'm going to credit my dumbass for making a bad or greasy ground somewhere.