supercharger

travis

I'm getting a supercharger for free from a 1992 not sure of the make and model but its a 3800 series

I have a grand prix gtp 98 will it fit and do you know if there's anything I can do to it before I put it on to make it better or faster

If it is from a 1992 3800, it is the Gen 1 Eaton M90. The 1998 GTP has a Gen III Eaton M90. No, it won't work. It would be a large downgrade.

Edit: Correction, that is the Eaton M62 on the 1992. Still, it won't work.

Edited by WhatTheFehl

You would be much better off to wait and find someone selling something from a 97-03 car and bolting it on that way.

Aside from hardware you'll also need to look into custom PCM programming but much of that is handled by ZZP and other companies for an 'out of the box' experience.

If it is from a 1992 3800, it is the Gen 1 Eaton M90. The 1998 GTP has a Gen III Eaton M90. No, it won't work. It would be a large downgrade.

Edit: Correction, that is the Eaton M62 on the 1992. Still, it won't work.

This is correct. M62 will NOT bolt up to the Series 2 motor unless you have mad fabbing skills, or a boat load of money.

This is correct. M62 will NOT bolt up to the Series 2 motor unless you have mad fabbing skills, or a boat load of money.

And it would be a huge waste of said fab skills or money, being that good used Gen III M90s are cheap and plentiful and would be a direct replacement.

What other kinds of superchargers would fit on my 98 Grand Prix gtp. Would like something with more power . N it needs replaced. Also does any one have a good one they are getting rid of that is decently price. Don't have much money

You can make a lot of gains with a stock blower, the simplest and best mods being a cold air intake, headers, colder spark plugs, and a tune. Then drop the pulley size down a bit, like a 3.5 or 3.4. If you really want a different blower, you can get a Gen V Eaton M90 off of a 2004-2008 Grand Prix. But this is still more involved than just swapping the blower, and you'll want other supporting mods to go with it, not to mention the Gen V blowers can be quite expensive to buy since they weren't used on a lot of vehicles.

If you don't have a lot of money to spend you are best off finding another stock blower in a local junkyard or find someone selling one on one of the forums. If you want to buy some time before spending the money to replace the blower, you can go ahead and take the supercharger belt off. The car will still drive just fine, just with much less power.

I would also recommend changing the oil in the supercharger before putting it on. Don't use Mobile 1 synthetic, do it right and get the GM supercharger oil from ZZP or GM dealership.

• 1 month later...

2x ^

Ain't that the freakin truth. Just maintaining one is turning out to be a financially unsound situation. But what a machine.