Front end clunk 2003 GTP

jake91

So as im sure a lot of you have seen on FB i have this clunk in the front of my car. The noise seems to originate on the passenger side. I happens one single time on every initial acceleration from a stop. It also happens intermittently over large bumps like gutters and speed bumps, and on rear rare occasions full lock turning.. This clunk is loud I've had a cd skip while playing once or twice

Now this started right after a lot of suspension work. I replaced control arms, ball joints, swaybars, endlinks, and lowered the car.

I did reuse the old struts and mounts as they were less than 30k miles and 2 years old, i also installed shorter dogbones to make sure the downpipe doesn't hit the swaybar (clunking happened before shorter dogbones so thats been ruled out). Ive had a inspection done on all the replacement part and they all seem to be installed and tightened correctly

Motor mounts were replaced 2 years ago but were replaced with stock hydraulic mounts, and both cv axles are spewing grease, but both of those usually have different symptoms than what I'm experiencing.

Let me know what you think

Thanks

Jake

Can it be described as a loud clanging metal to metal sound?

Years ago I too had an issue like this, went through the suspension I don't know how many times, Also had a few people look at the transmission. It turned out my rear exhaust manifold had cracked under the heat shield but the way it was bolted to the engine everything remained together. I don't know how the sound occurred from the manifold as my exhaust note didn't indicate any issue, but after being replaced the sound has gone away. This was on my Cutlass 3100.

It happened to me most commonly on acceleration and when shifting from P to R or D.

I've experienced this with other vehicles than my own. It has almost always has been a worn/ loose inner cv joint; the symptoms correlate with that anyway. So, a axle replacement may be due.

Can it be described as a loud clanging metal to metal sound?

Yeah it sounds like someone whacked the swaybar or control arm with a hammer

I've experienced this with other vehicles than my own. It has almost always has been a worn/ loose inner cv joint; the symptoms correlate with that anyway. So, a axle replacement may be due.

I was wondering. Just wasnt sure due to just the single clunk and no humming or clicking that seems normally associated with the axel.

Get up under the car and give your exhaust a shake or two, but careful, more than 4 times and your playing with it.:lol:

I could sometimes reproduce a quieter version of the sound my Cutlass used to make in this way.

I was wondering. Just wasnt sure due to just the single clunk and no humming or clicking that seems normally associated with the axel.

Giving the axle itself a solid shake can most times rule it out...Or in. No amount of play in any direction while installed, otherwise swap it. I had an inner joint go bad a couple years ago. It made a driveline shake upon acceleration, enough that it loosened the engine mount right there off the subframe. That was not a good limp home. If they are spewing grease then they need to be checked.

Also, I am sure you have studied the geometry of your new and improved parts to the 16th of an inch, but have you looked at the suspension while compressed, maybe on ramps instead of jacks? It might give a little insight...

Humming and clicking is also associated with the wheel bearing, don't forget that. Also, don't forget that the sound starts out soft but then gets real loud.

If I was you, I'd jack up your car, and shake the offending wheel north to south and east to west. If it moves then something is wrong and it would correlate with the side it moves around in. As far as the axle, you can easily shake that around too, see if it's loose.

Ok ill check the axle. Ive shook the wheel its tight and has no play wheel bearings were replaces last year.

I'll replace the axle soon as its on a autozone lifetime warranty so it would be free anyways

I checked the exhaust its not hitting anywhere

Edited by jake91

Ok ill check the axle. Ive shook the wheel its tight and has no play wheel bearings were replaces last year.

I'll replace the axle soon as its on a autozone lifetime warranty so it would be free anyways

I checked the exhaust its not hitting anywhere

You can get a bad one... It happens. Mine lasted a year on my Cutty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Alot of guys are experiencing this when they lower the car, check subframe bushings, make sure the subframe bolts are tight, and check the sway bar and links for any play

Been busy and it's so freaking hot out. I'll make a point to for sure next weekend

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Going to look over your suggestions tomorrow but in the meantime i got a video. This happens over speed bumps, uneven corners, sometimes just corners in general, and every time i accelerate

Went to try and tighten up the endlinks more today and stripped them out. So i installed some new GMPP ones i had laying around. Seems to have quited the clunk a bit but its still there all the time, but just attribute this to the fact they are rubber and the old endlinks were poly. Next step will be the axle

• 3 weeks later...