Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (2002-2015) end of the road.

Stevo

Hi everyone. I want to say thank you to all of you who have helped me directly and indirectly over the years with keeping my vehicles on the road. The reason for this thread is that I almost lost my family in an accident yesterday. Someone decided to blow through a stop sign and T-bone my car with 4 passengers and myself in it. We were all shaken up but my sister-in-law got the full brunt of the pickup. I tried to pound the gas to avoid him (Red Explorer) but it was too late. She was released from the hospital last night with no broken bones or internal injuries other than taking a 4000lb-plus-line-backer to the side. My girlfriend was in the front passenger seat is a bit beat up and her daughter was in the rear sitting on the hump with my cousin sitting behind me. I was doing 45kph down an incline and he was doing 20-30kph accelerating into me and the impact spun me 180* through the intersection.

I may shit on GM products but I have to say that if it wasn't for the stance, fat arse and beefy build of this car (apparently there was a rollover last year with the same intersection in the same fashion). Things would be much worse.

post-1121-143689183186_thumb.jpg

Take care everyone and thanks for everything. I am happy that I have family alive and well on both sides of the monitor. =)

post-1121-143689183196_thumb.jpg

Cheers

-Steve

post-1121-14368918288_thumb.jpg

post-1121-143689183161_thumb.jpg

post-1121-143689183172_thumb.jpg

I'm glad to hear your family survived. Hopefully there are no long-term health problems from the accident, especially with neck and back pain. We all talk a lot about GM engineering as it pertains to performance and reliability, but in situations like this the safety engineering is all that matters.

-Old Man Grimes

(And is it too soon for a "that'll buff out" joke? )

Glad everyone is ok. You can replace a car, but not people. Don't sign anything or settle for medical for a few months. Stuff can pop up weeks down the road. My sister had that happen years ago.

Damn, that's probably the scariest part of getting hit just because it's so close to the occupants. Glad to see that these cars can take a smack like that and keep the passengers pretty safe. I hope everyone recovers!

What is the next car going to be?

Good news. My sister in law is getting better. She has a doctor appointment today and is going to physio after a long talk telling her to do so. She was afraid that it could be on my dime. Leave no chance and have it on record in case there are problems down the line.

In other matters. I haven't heard from the adjuster which makes me curious concerning the car. I have a feeling I am gonna get chump change for it. I went to the holding yard and claimed the contents. Hooked up the battery and it started right up. Whomever buys the salvage is gonna get a 197k motor with a new transmission (20k), new front end mechanicals and struts. Body is rough though.

I'm not sure what car to get next. There are no Chev Impala SS's sold in Canada. The G8 GXP is like spotting Big Foot and with the newest one being 5 years old, I am back to wrenching on my car again and making payments. I am in the search for a 2014 Taurus SHO... A little hard to find but the price drop on the SEL from $43k to $26 for average milage is interesting.

Any suggestions?

I'm glad that you're ok but if I was you, I'd get a lawyer to handle this simply because you'll get shafted without one. You'll get a better settlement with a lawyer involved than without one as well.

As far as a new car goes, would a Buick Regal interest you?

I dont think the system works like that here In Kanuckistan. There is a limit on soft tissue damage cases because insurance companies lobbied government to limit their expenses on claims. Legal extortion is what I call car insurance.

I really do not like any of the buicks apart from the GNX and Regal Coupe. Neither are options in this case.

I found this at the same dealership I bought the GTP.

I'm gonna go in and tell them $14000 on the road take it or keep it on the lot to rot longer. The car has been sitting on the lot for at least 6 months. It's a base model with a V6 which is not what you want if you want a G8. The car has a LOT of aluminum oxidation on it. Every part is covered meaning this thing sat for a while. Not only that the belts squeak like crazy under load which makes me think of the GTP's pullies which failed. =\

http://www.steeleauto.com/used/suvs/2009-pontiac-g8-t17123a.html

Do you think that this is reasonable. The rest of the car appears to be clean all around with 32000km (<20000 miles).

I advised people who were in my car that if they are suffering any injury to make it known in order to ensure that no problems show down the road.

Good news. My sister in law is getting better. She has a doctor appointment today and is going to physio after a long talk telling her to do so. She was afraid that it could be on my dime. Leave no chance and have it on record in case there are problems down the line.

In other matters. I haven't heard from the adjuster which makes me curious concerning the car. I have a feeling I am gonna get chump change for it. I went to the holding yard and claimed the contents. Hooked up the battery and it started right up. Whomever buys the salvage is gonna get a 197k motor with a new transmission (20k), new front end mechanicals and struts. Body is rough though.

I'm not sure what car to get next. There are no Chev Impala SS's sold in Canada. The G8 GXP is like spotting Big Foot and with the newest one being 5 years old, I am back to wrenching on my car again and making payments. I am in the search for a 2014 Taurus SHO... A little hard to find but the price drop on the SEL from $43k to $26 for average milage is interesting.

Any suggestions?

My Explorer Sport is essentially a SHO in a fat suit. I'd say go for it!