1992 GP Steering wheel controls dead

sircalebwhite

Hey guys! My radio controls on the steering wheel on the 92 are completely non-functional. original radio and all in it. i'd love to have these buttons work because my volume control knob on the radio wont do anything and i'd love to have volume control. Thanks!

Have you had the head unit out of the instrument panel?

The steering wheel controls harness plugs into the back of the unit, if nothing has been touched (the harness is still plugged in) I'd say that section of the head unit has failed.

This happened wayyyy back when my car was still under warranty, the dealer replaced the head unit. Premium head unit is either the UX1 (cassette) or U1A (cd).

I'm thinking maybe the head unit is failing. It's pretty beat up from the previous owner. And it's possible that it may have been removed. I'll tear into it on friday and see what I can figure out. Thanks!

aaaah........the plot thickens..:biggrin:........this is a recent acquisition for you then, personally if I were going to replace the OEM head unit for another OEM (for the sake of the controls) I would choose one of the later head units (94 -97) as they were a better radio, again assuming that the steering wheel controls function would be the same and the harness is also. The 94 & later steering wheel is a different design where the buttons layout is concerned.

• 11 months later...

Button layout does not have much to do with anything...  Its the airbag or control's versus radio style.

Example, the 95-97 Cutlass Supreme Airbag has Radio on the right side, AC on the left side and uses a 2 Din Oldsmobile Specific radio.  The Oldsmobile Silhouette airbag has JUST radio controls on both side, but uses a Chevy radio (older), or the newer one that gets the VIN from the BCM (meaning the Silhouette does not get the Oldsmobile specific radio, or at least none that I've seen with the 2 din radio). 

If you hook a Silhouette airbag into a Cutlass Supreme, then the Silhouette airbag will default to Cutlass Supreme Button setup (even though the airbag has just radio controls, it will do radio on right and AC on left, and the volume button is the only one that will work like its labeled).  Also, if you put a Grand Prix or Chevy steering wheel into a Cutlass Supreme, it will only do the Cutlass Supreme button setup.

From what I can tell, Chevy, and Pontiac radios all use the same signals (seeing that the Silhouette airbag and the Grand Prix steering wheel controls function the same).  I've not tested a Buick 2 din radio yet, but I get the feeling it will probably work like the Cutlass Supreme radio.

The later style head units will not respond to the steering wheel controls in a 1992 Grand Prix at all. Newer (94+) radios are 2001 Series "family radios" that respond to different voltage levels. 2000 Series radios (93 and older) respond to E&C data pulses on the data bus.