Cutlass P/S return line replacement

Galaxie500XL

All;

I'm just simply stumped. I had to replace the low pressure return line for power steering on the Cutlass, and just simply can't seem to understand how to thread the replacement line, specifically, the portion going to the rack. EVERYTHING is in the way--

Is there a simple method to clearing all the obstacles, and getting the line in place?

The FSM doesn't show simple on your LQ1 engine. It says you`ll have to drop the rear of the subframe about 3 inches and remove the tie rod ends. I can list the entire procedure in the early morning for you if you want. The list for the 3.4 is about 3 times as long compared to the 3.1.

I have an Alldata account that details that procedure, but I've been trying not to drop the subframe, but it looks as if I may have to.

The FSM doesn't show simple on your LQ1 engine. It says you`ll have to drop the rear of the subframe about 3 inches and remove the tie rod ends. I can list the entire procedure in the early morning for you if you want. The list for the 3.4 is about 3 times as long compared to the 3.1.

A few dumb-sounding questions about dropping the subframe 3-4 inches....

The exhaust is already disconnected at the manifold, and the two "rubber bands" behind the cat are undone. Will I need to drop the exhaust completely out of the car? I'm assuming as the rear of the subframe is dropped down, the exhaust will be in the way.

Do I only remove the two rear subframe bolts in order to drop the rear, or do I need to loosen the front ones as well, to accommodate the motion?

Where in the world is the pinch bolt connecting the column to the rack? There's very little space to see anything, and while I understand WHERE it should be located, I've yet to spot it.

While I can see dropping the subframe makes access to the pressure fittings much easier, I'm still having trouble understanding how dropping the subframe makes it any easier to route the hose over to the rack---I'm assuming stuff that's in the way now isn't with the subframe lowered in the rear?

Anyhow, thinking of raising the car, and putting the rear wheels on my steel ramps, then using jackstands to support the body at the rocker rails, leaving the front suspension the air. That should raise the car enough to make enough room to get underneath once the subframe is lowered.

NOOOOO! I have to get to work.

Ive not located that pinch bolt personally, and ive lowered the rear subframe enough to get a Z34 sway in there with no problems. In the manual it seems like that part is just for getting at the inlet hose and then you raise the subframe back up and lower the car then rock the engine forward for the rest

The manual mentions removing exhaust pipe assembly and heat shield but that's it.

Makes sense. My basic problem is figuring how to get around all of the stuff to get the hose over to the rack. No matter what direction I try to snake the cooler line over to the rack, I run into something that's in the way. If I understand correctly, I don't need to lower the subframe--but rocking an LQ1 forward, if I remember properly, is a problem, because it's mounted differently than a 3.1.

Try reaching down from the top, between the exhaust crossover and the master cylinder. You'll have to remove the air box and piping to make room.

I would love access to an all data account.

The Alldata account is nice, but the FSM is way better.

The problem is getting the hose to make the bend from the passenger side, over to the driver's side. Once I get so far, I run into stuff.Q

Try reaching down from the top, between the exhaust crossover and the master cylinder. You'll have to remove the air box and piping to make room.

I would love access to an all data account.

This is why I had a shop do this after I messed around with it for two days.

I tried from the top, but I could not get enough room to get the hose to the correct spot.

Makes sense. My basic problem is figuring how to get around all of the stuff to get the hose over to the rack. No matter what direction I try to snake the cooler line over to the rack, I run into something that's in the way. If I understand correctly, I don't need to lower the subframe--but rocking an LQ1 forward, if I remember properly, is a problem, because it's mounted differently than a 3.1.

Whoops, the procedure is so similar I didn't see the 3.1 above that. Maybe they say the subframe has to be lowered so its easier but not required. For the installing the return line on the LQ1 Cutlass Supreme

Install Or Connect

Position cooling pipe assembly to reservoir inlet hose until properly seated.

Power steering gear outlet hose clip

Position and align clips to cooling pipe assembly

Position cooling pipe assembly to drivetrain and front suspension frame assembly

Power Steering gear pipe clips

and then their bolts/screws 84 lb in

Cooling pipe assembly to steering gear assembly 20 lb ft

Inlet hose assembly to steering gear assembly

Power steering gear outlet hose clip

exhaust heat shield, must be underneath the exhaust pipe assembly because that's next

raise subframe if lowered then the pinch bolt on the steering shaft and then the car goes back to the ground and...

reservoir inlet hose to pump assembly 20 lbs ft

tie straps to hose assemblies

engine mount strut assemblies

Feel and bleed system

and all you do to bleed the system is have the front wheels in the air and the engine running, then just turn the wheels lock to lock slowly with the P/S cap off until no more bubbles can be seen. Just incase people land here searching in the future.