Gibby

Hello all,

I recently lost my L67 drag car, it decided to implode at 7000 rpm. Before you ask me what I was thinking, it was fully balanced and had an SFI balancer on it... anyways it is toast.

I found a straight, low mile grand prix with an LQ1. I was going to pick it up do as much weight reduction as I can and use it as a bracket racing car, 13.xx times would be cool, but the point is for it to be reliable and consistent.

I guess my question is, am I crazy for wanting to do this? Will the LQ1 put up with the constant abuse if I keep up on maintenance?? With weight reduction, (all interior, and everything else I dont need) will the transmission hold up (automatic)? What are your thoughts?

The transmission would need to be beefed up as the 4T60E isn't known for its robustness in heavy duty situations, however the LQ1 isn't a delicate engine by any means. It's just maintenance prone. The LQ1's redline is actually at 7000RPM, and it has been boosted for use in the Fiero.

I would go for it, but just know that parts for that engine aren't the most plentiful. You will find yourself in the Fiero world, since the engine is a popular swap for em.

I found a straight, low mile grand prix with an LQ1. I was going to pick it up do as much weight reduction as I can and use it as a bracket racing car,..

...What are your thoughts?

I'd rather you didn't destroy a nice GP that someone could actually use as a vehicle.

i have a quote somewhere around here.....

http://www.w-body.com/member.php/3201-Z34guy

no factory automatic hooked up to a LQ1 will stand up to 7K RPM bitchslaps for very long.

if that is any indication on my thoughts about it. the 4T60/65 series just isn't very fond of high-RPM operation.

if you were to adapt(and be able to control) the 4T80 with a LQ1.... you would have more drivetrain losses to deal with and a noticeable increase in weight, but if a Northstar can't kill it, a LQ1 shouldn't be able to either.

thats my friend he is nuts. However I will have to state as someone who drives a 90 w-body as his DD, i dont recommend it and if someone is looking for a DD car get something newer. These older gals need a lot of attention in any form to stay on the road every day. That said i still think there are better was of getting a race car but not many that cheap.

PS im driving my 90 till I die lol

That said i still think there are better was of getting a race car but not many that cheap.

j-bodies are lightweight, cheap as dirt(and about as common) and can have any of the OHV 60V6 engines dropped into them with ease. a stock 3500 produces 200HP, which is at/just under LQ1 ratings. if it's going to be a drag-only car, I'm told the 3T40 can be built up really easily, just have to find a 2.2/3.1 powered j-body for the same bellhousing and it's almost good to go.

Thanks for the input guys. I am looking for a cheap drag solution. I dont need a car to go fast, just consistent. And I really dont want to beat on my TGP. So I am just looking for something with reasonable miles that I can do weight reduction mods on and play with at the track. Only stipulation is I would like to keep it GM, as our race team is GM cars.