New but experienced

sircalebwhite

Hey all! My name is Caleb and i'm a detailer and mechanic in training at a gm/chrysler dealership in Cambridge, MN. I'm 18 and have just recently bought a 1992 Pontiac Grand Prix SE coupe. Though it isn't my first. A few years ago, I bought for $250 from my dad, my first car. She was a Teal 1992 Pontiac Grand Prix base with 189k. Had many great adventures with it and also many problems. No matter how much work i put in, it always ran rough. Not long after the fuel level needle started bouncing all over, the trip meter went. Radio wiring was also a disaster. I can keep listing problems all day. Well last year in June 2014 shortly after my graduation party, she fell apart. Looking underneath was painful. Trailing arm mounts rusted away, frame rusting through in the rear, break lines going. I got what i could out of her. Drove it the a Junk Yard and got $300 out of it that i put with my graduation money and bought a 1994 Toyota Celica GT. I missed the grand prix so much after i got rid of it. It took me a year of searching until I finally found one that looked promising. The red 92 GP. Bought for $800. PO says there is a newer engine and 248k on body that is pretty clean for a MN car. said it was from texas. has very little rust on it. But for $800 it needs some work. Needs brakes all around, one strut but thinking about doing all of them. needs a tune up and a paint job. Pictures to come

post-11751-143689181463_thumb.jpg

post-11751-14368918147_thumb.jpg

Edited by sircalebwhite

Hey all! My name is Caleb and i'm a detailer and mechanic in training at a gm/chrysler dealership in Cambridge, MN. I'm 18 and have just recently bought a 1992 Pontiac Grand Prix SE coupe. Though it isn't my first. A few years ago, I bought for $250 from my dad, my first car. She was a Teal 1992 Pontiac Grand Prix base with 189k. Had many great adventures with it and also many problems. No matter how much work i put in, it always ran rough. Not long after the fuel level needle started bouncing all over, the trip meter went. Radio wiring was also a disaster. I can keep listing problems all day. Well last year in June 2014 shortly after my graduation party, she fell apart. Looking underneath was painful. Trailing arm mounts rusted away, frame rusting through in the rear, break lines going. I got what i could out of her. Drove it the a Junk Yard and got $300 out of it that i put with my graduation money and bought a 1994 Toyota Celica GT. I missed the grand prix so much after i got rid of it. It took me a year of searching until I finally found one that looked promising. The red 92 GP. Bought for $800. PO says there is a newer engine and 248k on body that is pretty clean for a MN car. said it was from texas. has very little rust on it. But for $800 it needs some work. Needs brakes all around, one strut but thinking about doing all of them. needs a tune up and a paint job. Pictures to come

Welcome to the forum, Im also in MN

• 2 months later...

Possibly? Lol idk. It's all coming together though! She will be all road ready by this weekend if the weather is nice! Getting a strut and rear wheel bearing on friday.

Well I managed to get most of the work done! Work is being delayed until I get the next paycheck so I can get the title transferred and get tabs and any misc. Parts I'll need. Did the heater hose (pain in the ass) and a tie rod end. Tried doing the strut with no luck. Dang bolts are stuck on it. Going to try again with a torch and penetrating spray and hope to get it out. Of that doesn't work then I'll cut it off!

Welcome.  It's great to see people still buying and maintaining early Gen I w-body Grand Prix', especially younger guys (given the choices they have nowadays).  They're definitely an endangered species at this point.