UA-65274002-1 Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RareGMFan

Northern IL w-body meet XLVIII Planning

So I'm going to try to work in some different venues for this year since it's the 10th anniversary, but while I research some different options, I figured we can throw together a Herrick Lake cookout meet in the meantime. For those of you that attended the last one of 2014, you may recall we tried a different approach to that one. Instead of everyone bringing something off the checklist to contribute towards the cookout, I just purchased everything we needed, and everyone just brought $5 cash to chip in towards the total cost. If that works for everyone, I think we may try that again. Keeps the planning part of it a lot easier.

As for a date, how does May 30 work?

MAY 30TH IT IS. OFFICIAL POST WITH INFO FOR THE MEET CAN BE FOUND HERE: http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/81344

Edited by RareGMFan

I think that's a good approach. I will look and see if the 30th is free for me. The end of May/beginning of June is going to be crazy for me, but I may be able to swing it

May 30 should be good! I thought for SURE you were going to say may 16 when i opened this thread, because that's my sister in law's graduation, but that would be a pretty quick turnaround. Again, just let me know if you need help with anything.

I'm out as Mason city Iowa has Bandfest every Memorial day weekend, so being the City Electician I will busy connecting and disconnecting power to the different bands Friday night and Saturday as well as monitoring the power distribution units supplying the food and beverage vendors.. Yeah, free food!

I will have to make it to one later in the year as I'm looking forward to a road trip with the new suspension setup. Not to mention the working trunk lock. Lol

Edited by George
Added smart a** comment.

I'm out as Mason city Iowa has Bandfest every Memorial day weekend, so being the City Electician I will busy connecting and disconnecting power to the different bands Friday night and Saturday as well as monitoring the power distribution units supplying the food and beverage vendors.

.....but....Memorial Day is on the weekend before (25th).

The RareGM and Cully lunch date? :lol:

Last time I said that we ended up with a pretty good turnout, so.......

Patience, young grasshopper.

Is there room for a 60' rig to park & unload???

I would love to meet & show off my Lumina with others that don't look down at it!!!

I think everyone attending would love to see that. I just don't know how much room there will be. It's a pretty big parking lot, but can also get quite packed at times, so I can't say with confidence that there will be enough space for something like that.

Is this official yet?:think:

Don't know. Might have to postpone this, or move the venue (not a cookout). We've only got a grand total of 2 people committed so far. Not exactly reassuring less than 2 weeks out.

I'll go get new plates for the trailer tomorrow, and start cleaning it out, it's still full of parts from a swap meet.

If you guys decide it's a go, I would come up, it's not that far from my shop.

It does take 2 people to load & unload, so I would need help when I get there.

Alright, we'll have a go at it. I made an official thread with all the info which should be pinned to the top of the Events section. If you intend on coming, please confirm ASAP so I know how much food to get. Please also remember to bring $5 cash to contribute towards the cost of the food and supplies for the cookout.

If you guys decide it's a go, I would come up, it's not that far from my shop.

It does take 2 people to load & unload, so I would need help when I get there.

Help shouldn't be a problem at all. :)

As of now, the weather isn't looking too promising for Saturday. :( We'll stay the course for now, but I'm not going to bring food with just in case. I'll have the grill, coolers, etc regardless, and then play it by ear depending on how it looks. If it turns out nice, there's a Jewel just a couple minutes down the road, so I can pick up the food on the spot real quick. If it's raining, we can decide on a nearby restaurant to eat at and caravan over to it. Either way, we'll meet at Herrick Lake and go from there.

Euro, just a reminder that I've got your Impala mirror.

Have you guys ever tried to get more members from other forums like yellow bullet or TCG???

There's a lot of clubs we could advertise the meets on, but then it would just be a car meet instead of a w-body meet, and there's already plenty of those all over the Chicagoland area during the spring/summer/fall. TCG themselves have one every week in several different cities. Ironically, I was on TCG over a decade ago when it was still IL Grand Prix Club. I had my '90 McLaren Turbo Grand Prix STE at the time. Long story short, despite being called a Grand Prix club, they had a very condescending attitude towards anything that didn't have a supercharged 3800 under the hood, which meant they looked down on any GP prior to the '97 - '03 generation GTPs (which were pretty new at the time). That led me to start organizing these meets 10 years ago so that generation 1 w-body guys could get together. Obviously, a lot of members have moved on to gen 2 or 3 w-bodies, or different platforms altogether by now, but new people still come and go, and several former owners still come to the meets because they like the community.

I should be there. I might have work but I should be able to take off early if I do have to.

OK, got you down.

Edited by RareGMFan

Actually I meant only W-body guys for the forum, not just filler cars for this particular meet.

I can always bring the trailer empty, it's pretty big, and I would bet with a pop up or 2, there would be plenty of room to cook and hang??

That being said, my car does not see rain ever, it's not made to keep out water,

and I still have several spots of bare metal I haven't finished painting yet since welding in upgrades.

Edited by Mr.Dragster1970