Cutlass Supreme Wiper arm adjustment and possible linkage removal

rich_e777

Don't let the title fool you, its not the simple pull off the wiper arm and re-positioning on the splines, been there and done that.

On the 1994 Cutlass and probably other models there is a plastic wedge guide that allows for only one position, so I need to reposition these plastic guides. The problem is getting them off, an old thread I found BXX stated that these are also splined in and can be taken off but I am having a time figuring out how to do it without damaging the wiper linkage. That's why I haven't tried to yank them off like a bad tooth with some vice grips yet.

There is also a fair bit of surface rust on everything under the shrouds and if its not to difficult I`d like to remove the linkage to deal with the rust. The manual makes it look easy but looking at the assembly in real life looks like a pain in the ass to get back in. Has anyone ever replaced that assembly in a 1st gen? I don't recall ever reading about that here.

Ah wiper transmission, I knew there was a term I forgot. Well is it more likely that the guides have jumped a notch or two, or those linkage arms being bent slightly? The reason I`m doing this fix is that my wipers travel completely off the windshield.

Its good to know a lot of the motors interchange, if mine goes out it certainly leaves room for options. That part is working pretty good for now.

Well I got to dig further into the car and watch how everything operates without arms and shrouds. Where the linkages connect I gave a shot of grease and noticed they rock back and forth a bit but that doesn't seem to be the issue. It almost appears that the motor has slipped a notch or is slightly out of timing somehow. Before I try and mess with the plastic wedges my plan of attack is to disconnect the wiper motor from transmission and either adjust the wipers in the fully up O.E. position then reconnect the motor/trans. I thought it would be easier to do the same thing with the wiper arms in the OFF or retracted position but the Up position seems like it would be the most accurate.

If that doesn't work then grinding the guides off or replacing the entire assembly would be the other two options that I can think of.