Quick tire question

94GrandPrix

Hey guys, so I went to a junkyard today and noticed that this '95 GP has 215/60R16 tires in the front, and 225/60R16 tires in the back. Is this how they came stock? My own '94 GP was this way when I bought it. Is it okay to run this setup?

I've never owned a first gen so this is new to me. Thanks!

Not entirely sure on that. My Cutlass came with 225/60/R16 wheels all around. I think the better question to ask here is do all tires match? Sometimes when people are in a bind, they buy close matching wheels (Say for example, 225/60 in the front and 215/60 in the rear.

Personally, I would stick to the wider tires. The bigger the width, the better traction you get. Some dodo head put 225/60/16 tires on the front of my Camaro, and 235/55s on the rear before they sold it to me and the car literalyy felt like it was on rails. I swapped em for 245/50/16s all around and the car felt better footed. Just food for thought.

I'm pretty sure your GP came with 225/60-16's as did my Cutlass.

Having 215/60-16's on the front and 225/60-16's on the rear won't hurt anything. The 225/60-16's are 26.6" tall, the 215/60-16's are 26.2" tall. It gives the car a little bit of a raked look and the speedo runs a little slow. Speedo says 60, car goes 59.

I run the 215's for the winter and 255/45-17's (26") in the summer so my speedo is alway a little off.

No need to change them unless it really bugs you, or they wear out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by George
I got the speedo and car numbers swapped, corrected.

my 90 international came with 215/60/R16. The info is on the drive side door seal as long as no one took to the tag off over the years. IIRC stock rim size was 16X6.5 and came on 215s, the turbo cars had 16x8s with 245s and the second gen cars has 16x 6.5 and ran 225s