Coolant leak from bypass pipe 89 Grand Prix

Jasonbsb

Hello everyone,

I am having a very small coolant leak from the bypass pipe that runs from under the throttle body to the top of the water pump housing. It is leaking from the connection where the heat hose assembly connects to it just above the water pump housing. I have had to replace the gasket that connects this pipe to the water pump housing before and it was no issue. I was wondering if anyone has any information of where I can find this pipe. I have look all over, and have been unsuccessful. Its for a 89 Grand Prix with the 2.8L.

Are you talking about the metal line that has a bleeder screw above the water pump and travels around the engine, under the throttle body and heads to the firewall? Usually there is a random O-ring that comes with any upper engine gasket set that goes there. Or Permatex Ultra Black RTV, follow the directions to let it cure before refilling the coolant, starting engine and bleeding air.

Heater bypass line O-ring IIRC its called.

Yes I am talking about the metal line that runs from the water pump housing, under the throttle body, but it does not have a bleeder screw. As you can see it looks to be rusting.

post-11728-14368918127_thumb.jpg

If its not rusted through just take a wire brush to it then repaint. For a replacement you might try GM parts direct or RockAuto.com. Other than that it will be lucking up on one at a junkyard. Anythine with a 2.8 V6 should have that part. I look next time Im there.

i spent some time looking on rockauto and I couldn't find one..... alldata wouldn't give up a GM part number either.

any gen2(2.8 or 3.1) engine should have the correct one.