This confuses me. Fuses and exposed/rigged wires.

Kurayami

1997 Olds Cutlass Supreme

2 door.

So, I open my passenger side door and the fuse panel on the dashboard is exposed, the piece of cardboard that have been glued on, fell off. Not my doing, but the previous owners. I discover the following fuse/wire issue.

Does anyone have any idea why someone would do this? My gut is telling me this isn't safe, but I'm worried that if I disconnect it, my car won't start or something catastrophic will happen.

Those wires are hooked into the only 25amp fuses on that particular panel. The wires run down into the dash and I can't see where they go from there.

post-10252-143689180966_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance for any information/suggestions/guesses.

Does your car have RAP? Does the stereo stay on after you turn the car off until you open the door? I did something similar in my 04 there would've a relay...

Alternately, I assume without the cover we don't know what those fuses do...

It looks like the cigarette lighter and the wiper fuse.

I'm guessing something wasn't working with the wipers so they rewired it?

Edited by Psych0matt

Those are fuse taps, the cheap kind.

http://www.wirthco.com/fuse-related-accessories-fuse-taps-occupied-slots-fuse-blocks-c-7_133_15-l-en.html

Usually used for adding aftermarket stuff. Like maybe you have a cheap alarm that a DIYer installed, or maybe they added a small amp, remote start, CB radio, aftermarket foglights, radar detector, something like that. Could be they already took out whatever it was hooked up to, but left the wiring for it. Possibly it could have been added to bypass defective wiring, although wiring itself going bad in these cars isn't common.

Probably need to pull off some of the dash panels to see where it goes, or disconnect them and see what happens. Should be easy enough to reconnect if you need to, and you've already got a pic to see how it goes. If you have a multimeter with current measurement ability, you could also see if they draw any current with the ignition on. You'd have to wire the meter in series (disconnect the wire, one lead of the meter goes to the fuse tap, other end to the wire). If they draw no current, then you'll know they're not hooked up to anything.