99 Grand Prix GTP factory bose system

Jf0235644

Hi guys, im new to the forums just got a 99 GTP supercharged

48adceef6e84f5027204c8f30284c2cd.jpg

Beautiful car needs alil work runs and drives fine just need some bodywork a motor mount and supercharger coupler. Got her stupid cheap. Would you believe the guy sold it to me for 500 bucks? Anyways, back to subject I bought the car with no head unit in it guy said wasnt working when he bought it. I put in an oem cd player from my grand am gt and radio is fine but no sound out of speakers. I noticed there were alot of speaker wires in the dash and under the carpet to the trunk area. I noticed he did have an aftermarket headunit in the and he wired the speakers individually to bypass the bose oem amp but the speakers are all connected to amp and harness to the radio is it possible the amp is bad is why i have no sound. How do i know the amp is working or on? The fuses are all good in glove box are there more i need to check?

Edited by Jf0235644

Most likely the issue is the aftermarket harness does not turn the Bose amp on -- the Bose system consists of speakers that are a different impedance than normal car speakers. My last two cars (Bonneville and Aurora) both had Bose systems. On the Bonneville I ran RCA's straight from my HU to amps and wired the speakers seperately. The fronts I ran straight from the adapter I had to buy. The Aurora I just ran speaker wires from the HU to the speakers and ran an amp for the center channel and sub (discrete surround system).

I have the same issue in my new GP as well, and what I'll likely do is replace the rear 6x9 speakers with aftermarket ones, and run wires to all the speakers to bypass the Bose amp. The fronts are already set up with tweeters and sound fine, so better quality rears (on the G-body Bose systems, the rear deck has mono bass 6x9 speakers and normal sound in the doors, I haven't investigated if this is the case on the GP) and the sub in the trunk will be sufficient. The amp in my HU should drive the Bose speaks OK as long as I replace the rears with normal (non-Bose) speakers, but you may want to replace the door speakers in yours as the way I'm going to do it is not the recommended way. I just hate pulling door panels.

Just bypass the Bose amp and replace the speakers -- sucks, but that's really the only way in the Bose cars.

Sorry to spam your thread. I just tossed my surround deck into the 40th -- I'm impressed!! It sounds fantastic even without the sub I'm going to be adding this weekend. I ran the antenna wire (from the deck side) to the pink wire on the second (smaller) harness. Turned the amp on just fine.