After market fog light wiring question

Joe Noble

I want to wire my fog lights so that they not only come on with my headlights but can also be turned on when the headlights are off and off when the headlights are on. I'm assuming it'll require at least two relays but I'd like to only use one switch. A wiring diagram would be awesome but any help is appreciated.

that is easily the simplest way of getting what you want out of them. you would have the ability to turn them on or off at any time the key is rolled into the run/accessory position.

you could add more components, but the added complexity wouldn't really net you anything.

Only way I see that you get what you want is replacing the IGN feed with a tap in from the + lowbeam headlight wire. Can be from either side. That way it's about as stock as it gets, except they wouldn't turn off when the high beams are on (unless your car turns off the low beams when the high beams are on).

To get the fogs to come on when either the lows or highs are on you only need to *reground* the relay to the chassis, GM wires the ground for the fog relay (control side) thru the high beams so they do NOT come on when the highs are on.

To get the fog switch completely independent of the light switch one has to bypass the hot feed to the fog thru the headlight switch and go directly to the main fused line that feeds the headlight switch. Depending on the switch layout, if the fog switch is independent of the headlamp switch this should not be difficult, if the fog is built into the headlamp switch that's another matter.

Edited by 55trucker