95 vert won't stay started

brianstarr58

Hey guys, 95 vert 3.4, 172,000 miles usually runs pretty good. The other day I started it and it shut right off. Started it again and it revved up to 4000 rpm and slowly died out. Started it again and kept my foot on the gas and it wouldn't rev higher than 4000 rpms and started to sputter if I tried to go higher. Kept foot on gas steady for about 3 minutes, then slowly let off and it was fine. It seems to only do this in the morning or after sitting for a few hours. It runs fine after it stays started. Btw..where is the fuel filter on this car. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

4000 is the rev limiter in park, so if your flooring in park it will bounce the rev limitet at 4000, thar it normal, mine would die out when cold, I put a new iac in and that fixed mine.

I would clean the MAF as well.

Also, check your lower intake manifold gaskets for leaks. It can be air leaks and not just coolant leaks. Mine leaked despite not losing coolant. You can check at the seams of the LIM for leaks using carb cleaner. If it revs its your LIM.

Btw..where is the fuel filter on this car. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

post-8125-143689179667_thumb.jpg

Look for the gas tank, you'll find it there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Fuel pump could be on its way out. GM fuel pumps are notorious for crapping out right around 200k. Sadly, you have to drop the gas tank to replace it. It's not too difficult, as long as the tank is at or near empty!!

• 4 weeks later...

Fixed. My mechanic said he cleaned the throttle body and did something to the iac. He only charged me $80 and the car runs great. Thanks for the suggestions and to Nas Escobar, thanks for the fuel filter pic.