1988 regal UB3 Swap help pin-out advice needed

reliantkcar

just bought a floor shift model full digital cluster to replace my stock broken base cluster

I moved pins around to make it work best I could since the junkyard one has no harness

so far I have working

both turn signal indicators(before left was out)

high beam (before wasn't working)

brake

engine

low coolant

temp gauge(ran wire direct to new sender)

oil gauge (still has switch so shows max)

volts gauge( just replaced alternator stays in middle whole time)

fuel(works way better than base one which was bouncing all over)

eng/metric switch

Not working

Tach (ran c13 direct to orange on diag port and nothing)

seatbelt light(I think that was yellow one)

have about 5-6 extra wires and this cluster has a extra 8x2 plug I don't have

Any ideas on the correct pinouts for this swap and why is the tach still deadpost-11365-143689179649_thumb.jpg

Also my speedometer is way too fast and says 99mph at 75Mph (GPS Speed) it does this with both clusters...

post-11365-143689179634_thumb.jpg

just bought a floor shift model full digital cluster to replace my stock broken base cluster

I moved pins around to make it work best I could since the junkyard one has no harness

so far I have working

both turn signal indicators(before left was out)

high beam (before wasn't working)

brake

engine

low coolant

temp gauge(ran wire direct to new sender)

oil gauge (still has switch so shows max)

volts gauge( just replaced alternator stays in middle whole time)

fuel(works way better than base one which was bouncing all over)

eng/metric switch

Not working

Tach (ran c13 direct to orange on diag port and nothing)

seatbelt light(I think that was yellow one)

have about 5-6 extra wires and this cluster has a extra 8x2 plug I don't have

Any ideas on the correct pinouts for this swap and why is the tach still dead[ATTACH=CONFIG]18563[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]18564[/ATTACH]

Also my speedometer is way too fast and says 99mph at 75Mph (GPS Speed) it does this with both clusters...

What size are your tires?

Tire size is p215-70-14

The transmission shifts into overdrive at 45mph real speed (63 mph indicated) so is the wire messed up or speed sensor and it does it with both ecm and clusters.

Also is tach signal the orange dlc wire go to c13?

having the speedometer that far off and so consistently off with both clusters and both ECMs would make me suspect wrong MEMCAL for the application or something screwy is going on with the VSS/reluctor.

tach signal comes from the ECM via serial link, pin C13 on the cluster goes into a splice with pin M on the ALDL connector. if you didn't have a good connection between the ALDL connector and the ECM, that could also cause a dead tach. if you had a very wrong MEMCAL installed, that could also cause a dead tach.

so.... which MEMCAL are you running? pop open the ECM via the 4-screw MEMCAL cover and check the 4 letter code on the silver sticker.

hmm..... the MEMCAL you're running MAY explain the speed difference you're seeing, but I don't have a lot of info on the 88/89. what calibrations I do have implies that 88s have a VSS reluctor that generates around 44,000 pulses/mile and 89s generate around 32,000.

that actually coincides with your data (37.5% vs 32-40%).

as for the tach.... hard to say, you would need to confirm that the ECM is attempting to communicate with the cluster before condemning anything.

How do I test the orange dlc wire for a signal and can I just use resistor to get the speedometer to show correct mph

Currently 27=35 45=63 65=88 75=99mph

not quite so simple. the digital clusters don't have any kind of trimming function like that, they require a 4,000 pulse/mile signal, there isn't really any way around that.

testing the ALDL circuit would best be done with something that can request/monitor the circuit, like a Tech1/ALDL cable + software/DIC/DIS. it is a 0-5V signal, but it transitions at a rate of 8192 baud, so you would need an oscilloscope to see it.

Maybe the wire is broken or shorting. Does anyone know which Ecm wire is the speedometer output and the M data wire. I'll just cut and splice under the hood...

If it shifts into overdrive at 45mph real speed why is it telling both clusters 63mph with both ecm....

And does anyone have a pinout for the stock wires on the cluster or better yet the correct swap from base to the ub3.I might have a bad ground or something going on I have no idea what the extra wires are...

http://imgur.com/a/3IFSS

the first 6 are the UB3 cluster, the last 3 are the base model.

the transmission isn't computer controlled(outside of the TCC solenoid), shift points are determined via the TV cable that connects the throttle arm into the transmission.

• 8 months later...