Having an argument with someone over Canada sold TGPs.

ManicMechanic

So this door handle chromer in the Citation X-11 group on Facebook (not much further explanation needed really...) is telling me that there were 12 TGPs actually sold in Canada and they were available through 1991 instead of the GTP.

Mind you, this is the same guy that says the THM-125 3 speed used in the Grand Prix was fully electronic.

Also, the Corsica came with 5x115 hubs in front and 5x100 hubs in the rear.

We got to talking TGPs because he bought the drivetrain from one. He lives in Canada.

It's so funny that I had to share. Total door handle chromer - a person that thinks they know everything when in reality doesn't know half as much as they think they do.

He is telling me this was his "1991" TGP. The fender emblems said "3.1 V6 turbo"... :lol:

post-1480-14368917942_thumb.jpg

This is just too freakin funny NOT to share.

So this door handle chromer in the Citation X-11 group on Facebook (not much further explanation needed really...) is telling me that there were 12 TGPs actually sold in Canada and they were available through 1991 instead of the GTP.

Mind you, this is the same guy that says the THM-125 3 speed used in the Grand Prix was fully electronic.

Also, the Corsica came with 5x115 hubs in front and 5x100 hubs in the rear.

We got to talking TGPs because he bought the drivetrain from one. He lives in Canada.

It's so funny that I had to share. Total door handle chromer - a person that thinks they know everything when in reality doesn't know half as much as they think they do.

Considering the TH125 in my old Lumina had vacuum adjustments, I'm going to say he's wrong.

Total door handle chromer - a person that thinks they know everything when in reality doesn't know half as much as they think they do.

Glad you explained that. Whole time I was reading the post, I thought "door handle chromer" was his profession, so I was thinking a person who figured out how to make a living chrome-plating door handles can't be completely stupid.

I'm pretty sure mfewtrail has not found any 1991 TGPs nor any TGPs with VINs that begin with 1G5WP11V which would be one sold in Canada.

This guy is claiming to have seen a blue 1991 turbo Grand Prix. :lol: Of course, he deleted his post in the group now.

Edited by ManicMechanic

Who cares? Its some know it all on a Facebook car group (shocking, I know.) laugh it off and move on. We all know whats actually up.

I'm pretty sure mfewtrail has not found any 1991 TGPs nor any TGPs with VINs that begin with 1G5WP11V which would be one sold in Canada.

This guy is claiming to have seen a blue 1991 turbo Grand Prix. :lol: Of course, he deleted his post in the group now.

Jay:

what's up with that vin #? ....where'd the *5* come from?

If the third digit is a 1 it's the Chevy line, 2 is Pontiac, 3 is Olds, & 4 is Buick......Pontiac is *1G2*, ......*sold in Canada* or exported to Canada?, the TGP's were not exported here to Canada, I remember trying to purchase one here in Oshawa in 1990 before we purchased the GT we now have, they were a non exported car here, I could not even purchase one in the states when I was down in Rapid City at the same time from Rapid motors, GM dealer was not allowed to sell TGP's to out-of-country customers back then.

I'd give this *bullshit baffles brains* individual the attention he deserves.............0.

Edited by 55trucker

I'm not 100% certain, but I seem to recall reading the McLaren cars were technically and legally McLaren cars, in order to get past certain restrictions that would have made them too expensive to certify by GM.

Jay:

what's up with that vin #? ....where'd the *5* come from?

If the third digit is a 1 it's the Chevy line, 2 is Pontiac, 3 is Olds, & 4 is Buick......Pontiac is *1G2*, ......*sold in Canada* or exported to Canada?, the TGP's were not exported here to Canada, I remember trying to purchase one here in Oshawa in 1990 before we purchased the GT we now have, they were a non exported car here, I could not even purchase one in the states when I was down in Rapid City at the same time from Rapid motors, GM dealer was not allowed to sell TGP's to out-of-country customers back then.

I'd give this *bullshit baffles brains* individual the attention he deserves.............0.

G2 was Pontiac's identifier but they also used xGM, presumably on their van or the Torrent. General Motors doesn't use the same WMI on their trucks as they do with their cars. This is why Chevrolet is G1 for passenger cars but their trucks use GC. From research, G5 denoted an incomplete Pontiac. My theory is that GM sent the car to McLaren without the drivetrain or with the drive-train but separate.

As far as legality goes, the TGPs were registered as a Pontiac not ASC/McLaren. They are still legally a Pontiac but a CKD Pontiac... if you will, hence the different VIN number.

I've never found anything that would make me believe a 1991 TGP exists. The most likely mix up I see concerning this issue is people not realizing what year their vehicle actually is. Anyone that works or has worked at an automotive shop can tell you that most people can not correctly identify the year of their cars.

Note: I do not know the build date of the latest made TGP's...yet.

Maybe those 7 1990 TGP's I'm missing are '91's. :D

Sy/Ty/SGTs were "1GDCT" D was GMC truck incomplete.

I believe the 1989 Turbo Trans Ams started with 1G5 as well. They were done through PAS like the Sy/Tys.

I've never found anything that would make me believe a 1991 TGP exists. The most likely mix up I see concerning this issue is people not realizing what year their vehicle actually is. Anyone that works or has worked at an automotive shop can tell you that most people can not correctly identify the year of their cars.

Note: I do not know the build date of the latest made TGP's...yet.

Maybe those 7 1990 TGP's I'm missing are '91's. :D

So, how are you going to find those 7 missing cars? And are you positive it's just 7?

As you know, I am doing the 454SS registry and in 1991, the NATC board says 943 made, Compnine says 944 made and I have 957 SS VINs that are truly documented, 957 SO FAR. I have looked for any other 454s yet. It's possible that there are even more.

I have 13,134 1990 454s documented so far. 13,748 were made so I am missing a lot right now. I've been having to go through every single VIN within the SS run to find the missing trucks right now. Tedious work, for sure but I want to make sure my list is complete.

About those 7 Jay: I'm not 100% positive it's only 7, but considering my numbers are so close to what Pontiac quoted, I tend to believe there should be 2,749 for the 1990 year instead of the 2,742 I've found. I really need to compnine and go through each of those 2,742 one-by-one to confirm that they are real as well. It's possible I could have mistakenly jotted down vins for cars that weren't real with all the thousands upon thousands of numbers I had to go through one-by-one. Honestly not looking forward to sorting through all that again. :lol:

About the 1989's: Adam did those and came up with quite a few more missing than I ended up with. I think somewhere in the neighborhood of 30ish that he was unable to locate. Pretty sure he went through the program data several times like myself.

It was surprising to me how many I missed the first time I went through the data even though I thought I was being thorough, lol. All those damn numbers blend together and made me miss a heap. I'm not sure why I did to begin with but I was manually going through ALL the data when I really didn't have to. I don't know if we discussed this, but paste your results in a text document. Use the "find" function of whatever program you choose to do to find all V1, V3, V4, V6 and so on. Everything but 2 & 8 you can weed out really quickly. The 2's & 8's I just manually went through to find the duplicates.

Edited by mfewtrail

About those 7 Jay: I'm not 100% positive it's only 7, but considering my numbers are so close to what Pontiac quoted, I tend to believe there should be 2,749 for the 1990 year instead of the 2,742 I've found. I really need to compnine and go through each of those 2,742 one-by-one to confirm that they are real as well. It's possible I could have mistakenly jotted down vins for cars that weren't real with all the thousands upon thousands of numbers I had to go through one-by-one. Honestly not looking forward to sorting through all that again. :lol:

About the 1989's: Adam did those and came up with quite a few more missing than I ended up with. I think somewhere in the neighborhood of 30ish that he was unable to locate. Pretty sure he went through the program data several times like myself.

It was surprising to me how many I missed the first time I went through the data even though I thought I was being thorough, lol. All those damn numbers blend together and made me miss a heap. I'm not sure why I did to begin with but I was manually going through ALL the data when I really didn't have to. I don't know if we discussed this, but paste your results in a text document. Use the "find" function of whatever program you choose to do to find all V1, V3, V4, V6 and so on. Everything but 2 & 8 you can weed out really quickly. The 2's & 8's I just manually went through to find the duplicates.

Actually, I've found a slightly less painful way to utilize the program. Don't use caps. Any positive hits will come up in all caps, but the rest will come up lower case. Then you can just click "match case" and it's SO much easier. You don't even have to use the record count tool this way.

1GCDC14N0LZ157001

1gcdc14n2lz157002

1gcdc14n8lz157005

1GCDC14K2LZ157006

1GCDC14N3LZ157008

1GCDC14N3LZ157008

1GCDC14K8LZ157009

157001 and 157008 are real 454SS trucks. But when I come up with all the 454SS VINs, I will have to go to compnine and use the VIN search on the main page. If a VIN isn't right, it will say: "Sorry, that VIN isn't in the system.

Make sure you've typed it correctly, then try again. "

If it's a real VIN'd truck, it will say: "YES

A complete build sheet with original build information is available for that VIN!That vehicle has 57 installed options returned in the build sheet."

1990s don't have the date information, but 1991-93s do.

Edited by ManicMechanic