Can't tell if Passkey 2 system is malfunctioning or just bypassed

Torque_Effect

I honestly can't tell if the Passkey 2 system in my 1998 Monte Carlo is bad and in a bypass mode if that is even possible.

Or if it has been physically bypassed at a certain time in the car's life.

When I pulled the cluster out to reinstall the Chg Oil Soon bulb, I noticed the security bulb had been pulled, so I swapped a bulb into its socket, and when the car is on and started, it just stays lit.

Never had any issue with it starting at all.

I would think if it was bypassed, the light wouldn't be on at all since the system would just be tricked into thinking the proper key WAS in the ignition. But also confused because if it was just a fault in the system, it usually strands people, and the car is unusable until repaired, or bypassed.

Unless there is a rare fault that happens where it just disables the security and allows the car to start regardless if the resistance on the key pellet is correct.

I only ask this as I bought 2 keys off ebay, seller says not to go off Ohm readings to figure out the key number, but that is what I did anyway, since the multimeter reading perfectly matched the design resistance of a particular numbered key.

But if the system is faulty, or bypassed then reguardless of what key number I ordered, they should all work.

If you want to check if it's bypassed, you can do that by checking on the bottom of the steering column, under the splash guard. It's an orange and grayish wire. If it has a resistor in it, it's bypassed. If the harness is clipped in, investigate further to make sure it's not bypassed.

there is a mode where if there is a short or open detected in the circuit after the correct key resistance is seen the vehicle can start and will be able to start but will not have anti theft.

there is a mode where if there is a short or open detected in the circuit after the correct key resistance is seen the vehicle can start and will be able to start but will not have anti theft.

This is correct. Similar to Passlock 1 and 2; once the circuit/ key issue has been detected once the vehicle has started, it will trigger the theft code, and will semi-permantly disable the antitheft until, IIRC, the battery/ ECM is disconnected.

To answer your question OP: your car has a anti-theft code stored and is disabling the anti-theft as outlined above. It unlikely has been bypassed if the light is illuminated constant.

If the light is illuminated all the time but the car still starts fine than either something went wrong with the system while the vehicle was running, or someone cut the security wires while the car was running. This places the VATS system in a permanently disabled mode. I believe it burns it into the MEMCAL. The battery being disconnected will not reset it. I know this because I did it on my 93 Park Avenue. If the system was bypassed with a resistor the light would not come on. You can get a key cut anywhere, but I would recommend a locksmith since the hardware store keys are a bit to short.

I bought 2 oem resistor keys off eBay, and the guy cut them with a picture of my current key for and extra $2 a key and guarantees it. Also had the seller do 2 door keys as well.

I couldn't care less if the immobilizer in the VATS system worked at all. Lol