Rear subframe

Torque_Effect

While under my 98 MC yesterday, got a good look at the rear subframe, which my friend who sold me it said I would need to eventually replace it. Gave it a good jab in multiple rusty places on it with a screwdriver, and it still is pretty solid. I'd say another 50k miles at least.

But what all rear subframes will fit, I know gen 1 is out, because that is monoleaf, but if the newest gen 2 ones work, those will have far less rust on them than any 1.5 subframe will have.

L67SS would be the one to know but afaik, the gen 2 stuff won't work because the gen 2 has adjustable lateral links whereas the 1 and 1.5 have fixed links.

If I was you, I'd sand it and hit it with por15. It may be easier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

i was just in this situation, gen 2 won't work due to bolt spacing where it attaches to the frame. with a 1/1.5, the bolts are about 4" apart on each side, with a 2nd/3rd gen, it's something like 6" IIRC, that alone was enough to make me grab one from a lumina that was less rusted than mine.

How much work is it to pull one of these out?

Yeah what he asked.

I assume it would just be the 4 bolts that attach it to the body, then the suspension parts.

depending on the car you pull it from, can take 5 minutes or an hour. mine was closer to an hour due to having to fight the lateral link bolts. bring a breaker bar or two, they're highly torqued normally, but if you have much rust to deal with, it gets worse much faster.

yes, the 4 bolts attaching it to the frame and then the 4 nut/bolt combos that attach the lateral links to it. actually, you may want to do that in reverse order, otherwise, you may get stuck paying for

once it is down some, you can then deal with the e-brake cable/bracket that runs across the top of it and you're good to go after you maneuver it through the lateral links.