VIN number help

pshojo

96 regal with a 3800? it should be 6HBW 3800 W Body (4-bolt side cover) 3.06 35/35 3.06 30 1897

if in doubt, double check the trans tag. as a backup if that cannot be found, verify the trans has the same serial number as the car, it should have stamped on lower right rear flange "4T1402287" to be the original stock transmission. (at least the 6 final digits must match)

Here's the rest of info. Numbers off of trans I could see.

616AVW_W13G6

this doesn't seem to match your list. Can you still help with gear ratio

^ 6AVW is the needed info....*6* is the year (96) AVW would the broadcast identification,

you sure that the *V* is indeed a V? and not something else?..the only tag id's with *6A* are 4 applications where only one is a w body but with a 3.1 engine

Edited by 55trucker

The 96 regal I pulled this from had 65k on odometer, I pulled engine and trans. Does this mean I have an oddball trans? I did also pull the computer with it.

Appears that the info in that weblink is incomplete, you obviously have a valid id tag, perhaps a GM dealer can provide you with the trans build characteristics, or even a transmission shop.