4T60e Shift Kit

pshojo

do you like firmer/faster shifts?

also, that's a bit more than just a shift kit.... looks to include some of the other failure-prone items like the TCC PWM valve, which would require you to pull the sidepan to replace. if you're only looking for firmer shifts, Aweb made a write-up a while ago, it's probably in the FAQ section, it just required pulling the bottom pan and the accumulator housing inside of it, shimming the springs with washers and putting it back together.

I want to say you can only play with the 1-2 and 2-3 accumulator that way though. the 3-4 accumulator appears to be in the sidepan as well.

if you're only looking for firmer shifts, Aweb made a write-up a while ago, it's probably in the FAQ section, it just required pulling the bottom pan and the accumulator housing inside of it, shimming the springs with washers and putting it back together.

Disabling accumulators makes for a harsh shift, and screws-up the shift timing. The next gear is engaged so quickly that the lower gear doesn't have time to properly release.

I read that how-to article years ago, and I wondered if he was willing to pay for the damage caused by third-rate engineering.

TransGo is a reputable company. Their products are well-thought-out.

I have spare trans, and thinking about swapping my L32 into different Wbody since mine is rusty. Thinking about what I would do different . So shift kit would help in which way?

You are NOT disabling shift accumulators, you are retunning them.

I have driven (and repaired) a vehicle that had a shift accumulator piston jamb and that is something totally different, dangerous and damaging. The 1-2 accumulator on many 4l80e were made of plastic, and would bind and lock. When is locked up it would shift so hard you would hit your head on the rear window (truck), not to mention risk damage to drivetrain components including the powertrain mounts, shattering trans bell housing, or breaking a U-joint.  I recall hearing some vehicle even have had the powertrain flip over under the hood from such force. That vehicle got replacement aftermarket parts and runs fantastic. Yes, I shim accumulators with positive effect.  I could have bought a transgo $80 kit for stiffer springs, but I simply shimmed them with washers and used sonnax pinless pistons and replaced the separator plate and check balls. 30,000 miles more with no further issues.

I have done the aweb type shift kit on several vehicles and have had not a single issue with harsh shifting. The trick is to do enough and no more. Somewhere I even found that information that different models of 4t60e had different springs in the accumulators.  Is it a grandpa targeted car? it gets softer accumulator springs.

What I do on every trans I work on now is stick extra (used) 2-3 accumulator springs in place of the 1-2 accumulator springs, and then shim the stock 2-3 accumulator springs with two washers. This being about 1/8 inch of spacing.  Piston still moves at least 90% of it's range.  I believe the piston also bottoms out either way though...

If I felt it was too much, i could back off next trans service, but this hasn't happened yet. If it could use more i added an extra washer shim to whichever needed it.

Last but not least... I have found about one in 4 cars have a broken spring in the accumulator. If your shift feels soft, time to inspect, and its easy to do if you already service your own transmission.

Shimming or installing firmer springs iincreases the spring rate of the accumulator making shifts quicker and more responsive. It is not disabling the accumulators.

• 7 months later...

solenoids, they are cheap from rock auto and a bastard to do once the transmission is in the car. if its a 4T60 you might consider a new torque converter since those ones still had a tendency to have bad clutches.

Also is it easy to replace, pull off, push on? i mostly remember rear wheel drive torque converters where you have to make sure you had clutch splines lined up...

• 1 month later...