New guy with 1998 Monte Carlo

Torque_Effect

Sorry about the other post, tapatalk app didn't use the screen name I had typed in, instead it just used my old email screen name.

But anyway, I'm from Fairborn Ohio, and a few weeks ago I bought a 1998 Monte Carlo ls with a little over 200k miles on it from a friend for $460 as a second car. Other car being a 1991 Ford Festiva with a 1.6l swap, and a 5 speed.

The Monte Carlo does have some rust issues I plan to get fixed. (Rust doesn't scare me!) Like the rear strut towers are rusted through, but my friend already offered up someone to weld them up.

I got quite a few plans for this Monte, and I have a brother that knows the 3100 l82 inside and out, he's even done the 3.4 top end swap to his Malibu.

First things first though, the rust needs fixed before I dump any amount of money into it.

Pics coming shortly.

NIce car! Too bad about the quarter panel rust.

Anyways, You would probably want to talk to a member on here who goes by the SN "Night Fury"... He's an avid Festiva enthusiast. I believe he has one now for paper routes.

Thanks!

Currently right now I am running on the donut.

last week I slid on some ice and into a curb, and later that day when I was pulling into a parking lot, a good 8 inches of the rim where the tire bead sits broke off. So until I can get to a junkyard to get a replacement alloy, I gotta run on the space saver.

NIce car! Too bad about the quarter panel rust.

Anyways, You would probably want to talk to a member on here who goes by the SN "Night Fury"... He's an avid Festiva enthusiast. I believe he has one now for paper routes.

Thanks!

I do believe I know him from the Festiva forum. I just can't think of his screenname over there off the top of my head.

Edited by Torque_Effect

I keep harnesses on hand....gotta get nitehawkjcbs harness shipped

Hypothetically, if a 94 W found its way to you, how prepared would you be to install an S3 3800?

Would also be nice to drop a 5 speed in with a 3800. Talk about hauling some ass.

Another thing that Milzy Motorsports does is 3500/6 speed swap from a G6

Yeah I know... But it's good to be different.

Just how your sig states... but you should make it say "Any idiot can build a 3800, but it takes a REAL idiot to build a 60 degree V6" :P

Back on topic here lol.

I grew up around Fords, folks owned nothing Fords and I learned to drive in their 5 speed Ford Fusion.

Only Chevy my father ever owned was a late 60s Nova, and the thing was junk after a few years from being bought New off the lot. Car wash removed a huge chunk of the paint, the floor boards were already rusted completely through, but he did say he got quite a few speeding tickets in it. Lol

Also his time as a police officer he did not like the Chevy cruisers at all.

But unlike him I like Chevy, almost as much as I like Fords. The only thing I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole is a Chrysler product.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! :D

Quick question

What is the best way to get the seats out? Looks like gm used some stupid star bolts, and no socket wrench is going to fit in there, and anything else small enough wouldn't give me enough leverage.

Seat back is busted and doesn't sit straight.

Also it's a power seat if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! :D

Quick question

What is the best way to get the seats out? Looks like gm used some stupid star bolts, and no socket wrench is going to fit in there, and anything else small enough wouldn't give me enough leverage.

Seat back is busted and doesn't sit straight.

Also it's a power seat if that makes a difference.

7mm or 8mm (I think it was 8mm) 6 point socket and a 1/4 ratchet. Extension is optional. The star bolts are actually a hex bolt like any other bolt, just spiked instead of squared off.

Just make sure it fits snug and it doesn't move around like any regular hex bolt.

7mm or 8mm (I think it was 8mm) 6 point socket and a 1/4 ratchet. Extension is optional. The star bolts are actually a hex bolt like any other bolt, just spiked instead of squared off.

Just make sure it fits snug and it doesn't move around like any regular hex bolt.

Yup 8mm 6 point. 5/16 6 point also works