Clear bra Install questions

jake91

Anyone here ever done their own clear bra install? Most shops here want $500-$700 to install one, and I can get a quality kit online for less than $200. Just wondering if anyone has done it and what was your experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've installed x-pel on a few sets of headlights. It can be tricky but it can be done at home. A shop will do it right as they have the experience. The price is worth it for the work that goes into installing one. If you decide to install one yourself my best advise is to take your time. Two people would be best as well. Check out some videos on youtube. There are some guys that have some serious skill.

Yeah my mom and I were going to do it so I'd have help. I saw Rvinyl has a kit for $29 bumper only so I might try that first just as a test run

• 2 months later...

I have instated hood decals on some prototype tractors when I was an experimental technician for white-new idea back in the 1980's and some window tint over the years. I would think it would be similar. The tractor decals were $250 per side.

The decals had the transfer paper on yet so I used bondo speaders, although you may be better off using a rubber edged squeegy like what's used on window tint if the clear bra has no type of protector on the surface.

Mix up a spray bottle of water with a few drops of liquid dish soap so it's slightly slippery. Wash the hood very well, spray soapy solution on the hood. Peel backing off clear bra. This could be done on the upper part of the car hood. Spray soapy solution on clear bra. Make sure the clear bra and hood stay wet. Install the clear bra on the hood, line up the edges and spay top side of clear bra so the squeegy doesn't stick and squeegy the water out starting from the center working up and down from the middle to the sides. Park the car in the sun to evaporate out any moisture left behind.

This worked well for the hood decals that were 2ft. wide and 7ft. long. Good luck.

Edited by George
Added spray top side

It depends on the car. It is similar to window tint, yet very different. It is thicker by quite a bit. The shrinking and stretching is hell to do right esp depending on how much of it required to do your car. I have a friend who did them for a while and he said some cars could take almost a full day to do it right. My wife's 02 Z28 is getting one for the new bumper in 2 weeks. It is going to run $550. I am happy to pay a guy to do it who is known as one of the best in town. I have seen some bad jobs and they look hood imho. If you can get a kit cheap and have a spare bumper to practice on, do that and then decide.

I had a 3M clear bra installed on the hood of my truck a week after I bought it. Nearly 7 years and 65k miles later, it has held up well. I'd pay someone to do the install... My only regret is not having the front bumper covered too.

Yeah my mom and I were going to do it .

You practice incest?? That's soooo weird man. How can you even think about doing your mom?!?!?!?!?????????

stay on topic lol go with the 3M spray on stuff, it will be good practice to learn painting and if you mess up you can peel it off. Dont forget to post pics

You practice incest?? That's soooo weird man. How can you even think about doing your mom?!?!?!?!?????????

Well we know where your sick mind lays lol

The clear bra is to late now im a moron and alread messed up the paint. I thought i had the car backed into the garage enough and closed the door on it

Well we know where your sick mind lays lol

I'm not the one that forgot the English language is full of innuendos. :P

The clear bra is to late now im a moron and alread messed up the paint. I thought i had the car backed into the garage enough and closed the door on it

Did you dent the car or just scratch it? I'm pretty sure most of it will buff out. I had a similar incident with a post in a parking garage. Scraped the bumper on my Camaro, bought a buffer and it came right out.

It looks like the filler plate would buff out. The rest could be fixed with the scratch fixer thing duplicolor sells.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk