Check engine light at 5500 RPM

cdizzle20

Hey everybody,

94 cutlass supreme 3.4. When I get on the gas it accelerates fine up until about 5500 RPMs. At this point regardless of what gear it's in the car stops gaining power, engine gets noticeably louder, and the check engine light comes on. Nothing else seems to be affected and the car still drives fine besides this issue. After I have turned the car off and back on the check engine light goes away. Any ideas where my top end power is going?

First thing to do would be to buy an ALDL Cable. They're sold on eBay for $60. If you have a laptop or tablet that can run full windows, you're already ahead in the game. If not, then idk if this is much help to you.

After the cable arrives, download tunerpro. Install it and connect the cable to the laptop/tablet and connect the other end of the cable to the port on the bottom of the dash. It should be somewhere around the center or towards the center bezel.

Get the code and then post what code it is. 1994 is OBD 1.5, which means that it has OBD2 style coding but can't be checked by an OBD2 scanner. You need the ALDL cable and tunerpro or a "Tech1" scanner. The Tech1 scanner is usually more than the ALDL cable and harder to find. IDK if you've looked around but the paper clip trick that works on -1990-1993 doesn't work on 1994 and 1995.

Other than that all we can do is make you throw money at the car by guessing.

My first guess would be the o2 sensor but it's nothing more than a guess.

First thing to do would be to buy an ALDL Cable. They're sold on eBay for $60. If you have a laptop or tablet that can run full windows, you're already ahead in the game. If not, then idk if this is much help to you.

After the cable arrives, download tunerpro. Install it and connect the cable to the laptop/tablet and connect the other end of the cable to the port on the bottom of the dash. It should be somewhere around the center or towards the center bezel.

Get the code and then post what code it is. 1994 is OBD 1.5, which means that it has OBD2 style coding but can't be checked by an OBD2 scanner. You need the ALDL cable and tunerpro or a "Tech1" scanner. The Tech1 scanner is usually more than the ALDL cable and harder to find. IDK if you've looked around but the paper clip trick that works on -1990-1993 doesn't work on 1994 and 1995.

Other than that all we can do is make you throw money at the car by guessing.

My first guess would be the o2 sensor but it's nothing more than a guess.

Awesome thank you for the heads up! I do have a laptop running Windows and I will try to order one of those cables within the next few weeks here. Would get it sooner but strapped for cash as I'm about to have ACL reconstruction surgery. I will post back with the code once I have the cable.

Awesome thank you for the heads up! I do have a laptop running Windows and I will try to order one of those cables within the next few weeks here. Would get it sooner but strapped for cash as I'm about to have ACL reconstruction surgery. I will post back with the code once I have the cable.

Not a problem, take your time. Health is more important IMO.

I forgot to mention in my post, but you also need to download the definition for the 94 LQ1. It's located on the tunerpro site IIRC. You'll also need the drivers although windows does a good job of finding the drivers SOMETIMES.