2000 buick century Lx9 swap

fast buick

hey i have a 2000 buick century original 3100 v6 then i swapped to 3400 v6 from impala now im going to swap a 3500 v6 Lx9 non vvt from a 2005 malibu now im nt new to engine swaps at all but my question is im nt understanding this "external crank trigger" why cant i swap in block crank sensor from my 3400 into the 3500 im talking bout the one for the coils and use my crank pully onto the 3500 n put my other crank sensor tht goes behind the pully im going to use my 3400 upper intake and coils please let me kn

The LX9 uses both crank sensor and the pulley trigger. The difference between the 3400 and LX9 trigger is the number of pickups on the balancer. I am sure there is a way to adapt it.

I used to b a 60* guy myself till i had a lil more experience with 3800s and realized i was working too hard lol. Anyway i dont any problems swapping over ur balancer and cps as long as tolerances are the same. I predict a crank relearn tho

ya 3900 sound kool which i have nt drove one yet but i heard its sooo much work almost impossble to do tht swap and btw u probably figure it out im making a sleeper buick century with the 3400 i got and my freeflow exhuast which no cat or u-bend n a single in dual out muffler n short ram cold air intake n egr delete has help alot wit power i can floor it from a stop n burn rubber wit out brake stand lol but im nt talking v8 power jt more power than a normal 2000 buick would have lol

ya 3900 sound kool which i have nt drove one yet but i heard its sooo much work almost impossble to do tht swap and btw u probably figure it out im making a sleeper buick century with the 3400 i got and my freeflow exhuast which no cat or u-bend n a single in dual out muffler n short ram cold air intake n egr delete has help alot wit power i can floor it from a stop n burn rubber wit out brake stand lol but im nt talking v8 power jt more power than a normal 2000 buick would have lol

If you get a non vvt 3900 its bout the same as swapping in a non vvt 3500

ill stick to 3500 non vvt its jt easier for now n ill jt use my 3400 balancer pully n crank sensors to run the 3500 i dont see why i would have to use a external crank trigger anyway i jt use my pully n sensor from the 3400

the ignition systems on a 3500 vs 3400 are very different, requiring the trigger wheel unless you brought the PCM over from the 3500 vehicle, which would open up a whole new set of problems.

short version is that the 3400 uses the same ICM/coils/etc that was introduced in ~1987 on the aluminum head 2.8 engines, the ICM reads a 7X crank sensor from the middle of the block and creates a 3X crank signal for the PCM. the 24X reluctor/sensor is located on the end of the crank and is only used by the PCM for low-RPM engine speed/position calculations and misfire detection. you can remove that entirely and the engine will run normally, you'll just get a SES light. remove the 7X reluctor/sensor and the engine will not fire.

the non-VVT 3500 uses something about halfway between what the gen 2/3 engines had and what the gen4(VVT 3500 and 3900) use, a single crank sensor in the middle of the block with something like a 24X reluctor(with cylinder-specific patterns) and a waste-spark ICM, but the ICM no longer performs ignition sequencing or has control of dwell time, relying upon the PCM to do that.

ok i was courious will u call or text me 405-380-8748 its easier for me to talk on phone n soo i can pretty much nt worry bout the crack sensor behind pully but i need to worry bout the one in middle of block well cant i take the 3500 in block sensor out n put mine?

if anyone is going to be talking on a phone, it won't be me, far too much hearing damage to not turn a 5 minute conversation into 30 minutes of needing things repeated.

the sensor isn't the biggest problem(but you would need a 3400 style sensor as well), the big issue is the reluctor wheel, which is press-fit onto the crank. there is a replacement reluctor wheel that can be put on in place of it, or you can use an external trigger.

http://www.britishcarconversions.com/shop/all/crank-trigger-kit-internal-detail

the ignition systems on a 3500 vs 3400 are very different, requiring the trigger wheel unless you brought the PCM over from the 3500 vehicle, which would open up a whole new set of problems.

short version is that the 3400 uses the same ICM/coils/etc that was introduced in ~1987 on the aluminum head 2.8 engines, the ICM reads a 7X crank sensor from the middle of the block and creates a 3X crank signal for the PCM. the 24X reluctor/sensor is located on the end of the crank and is only used by the PCM for low-RPM engine speed/position calculations and misfire detection. you can remove that entirely and the engine will run normally, you'll just get a SES light. remove the 7X reluctor/sensor and the engine will not fire.

the non-VVT 3500 uses something about halfway between what the gen 2/3 engines had and what the gen4(VVT 3500 and 3900) use, a single crank sensor in the middle of the block with something like a 24X reluctor(with cylinder-specific patterns) and a waste-spark ICM, but the ICM no longer performs ignition sequencing or has control of dwell time, relying upon the PCM to do that.

Thanks for this info!! I don't know how many sites I've combed through looking for this very explanation. All I ever heard was "you need the crank trigger from Milzy." This sums it up very succinctly!

I wouldn't buy anything from Milzy.

Bad rep, I assume? I've never purchased anything from him before...

Too bad WOT-TECH doesn't have one available - I'd recommend them without hesitation!!! I bought a 3500 UIM throttle body adapter and fuel rail clip from them a few years ago...