Subframe bushings 90 cutlass

2001goldGTP

So i was reading in the FAQ section that dorman part 924004 and 924005 are the subframe bushing kits. However the front bushing kit says it for 97-94 for the cutlass. Will it work on my 90??

thanks

the metal parts are different, but the rubber appears to be the same.

the frame bolts on 88-93 were a 15mm head, the 94+ 18mm head. the shaft of the blot increased with this change. As such the metal parts, while formed the same, have a larger hole than your cars needs. I think you're in Cali? If your parts are rust free, buy a set and see if you can get away with just using the rubber parts? And let us know how it works?

well in an effort to make this thread some what helpful this is where I am at.

If you order dorman part 924004 for 94-97 cutlass supreme and it says it has "everything needed for a complete repair" from rockauto, here is what you recieve

IMG_20150211_182731374_zpsfiy4soxj.jpg

one with a flash so you can see the quality of parts :roll:

IMG_20150211_182748938_zpsizcsjqlk.jpg

here are some pictures from the factory service manual

IMG_20150211_182825048_zpsh2lg8wk2.jpg

IMG_20150211_183354444_zpsb27n7rya.jpg

so from what you can see, the cage nut, not supplied not sure it can even be changed, means i have to use my stock metal parts. Im not worried about that. Whats frustrating is getting enough to do one of 4 corners with a listing that states complete repair. so i have to order more, then hope all this rubber fits my old stuff. It also looks as if i got an extra upper bushing. Im going to a junk yard to grab some bits from a 88-93 and some from a 94-97 and see what im getting into.

Cant find anything for the 88-93. And dorman seems to be the only ones for the 94-97

On a quick search, GMpartsdirect still has stuff listed. The prices are considerably higher than they were a few years back. None of it is listed as discontinued so it's possible they still have it. I'd search other GM closeout type sites as well for price comparisons if this stuff is still available and you go that route.

Part #'s here on the bottom right hand side of the page: http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f14/platjblser/Grand%20Prix%20Parts%20Catalog%20scans/gp5.jpg~original

Edit: This thread may be of interest to you as well. http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/52821-HELP!-EMERGENCY!-Need-Right-Frame-Cradle-Bushing-Told-Not-Made-Cant-Pass-Inspection/page3

If you inquire about the GM stuff, let us know if it's still available. I will be checking into them soon myself as I would like to have a full set or two on hand for the future.

Edited by mfewtrail

http://www.am-autoparts.com/Oldsmobile/CutlassSupremeFWD/body-mounts-and-bushings/AM-33964630/375208.html

I'm wondering if these are just the dorman ones. $100 shipped is a bit cheaper than buying all the dorman kits separately if it is the same. They state a 10 year warranty on the ones in the auction(who knows if that place will be around that long :lol:).

By the way, I just noticed that parts scan I posted has a misprint on the torque spec listed. 1103 ft-lbs instead of the actual 103 ft-lbs its supposed to be. :eek:

Edited by mfewtrail

http://www.am-autoparts.com/Oldsmobile/CutlassSupremeFWD/body-mounts-and-bushings/AM-33964630/375208.html

I'm wondering if these are just the dorman ones. $100 shipped is a bit cheaper than buying all the dorman kits separately if it is the same. They state a 10 year warranty on the ones in the auction(who knows if that place will be around that long :lol:).

By the way, I just noticed that parts scan I posted has a misprint on the torque spec listed. 1103 ft-lbs instead of the actual 103 ft-lbs its supposed to be. :eek:

says back ordered as of the middle of last year. Says it replaces the dorman parts, and its still for a 94-97 not the earlier cars. I went to the junk yard today and got some spare 88-93 bolts as one of mine is rounded. I grabbed a 94-97 bolt too just to see and if you have an older car you will need your stock bolts.

I just checked a factory 88-93 bolt in the dorman supplied metal parts. There is a lot of play compared to the 94-97 bolt so you will need to reuse all of your stock metal parts for the older cars.

I just checked a factory 88-93 bolt in the dorman supplied metal parts. There is a lot of play compared to the 94-97 bolt so you will need to reuse all of your stock metal parts for the older cars.

Yeah, this was covered by Ken and some others in various other threads.

That full kit above doesn't show backordered for me. That reference to mid-year last year just says that it now carries a 10yr warranty. That company has some on ebay right now listed for $99 shipped I believe.

I know one thing, I will be collecting junkyard retainers from our cars on my next junkyard trip. They're almost always in great shape on the cars here, so I could potentially help a few northern members out with them at the very least.

the rest of the rubber should be here tomorrow, and i will start on it this thursday or friday and see how it goes, my only concern is that the upper bushing maybe loose on the older retainer

just a little update, only the upper rubber part will fit. none of the metal pieces are usable and the lower insulator is too big. the frame would need to be modified to make it fit. I am working on another solution and report back when i have news. until then my car is off the road again. it does give me a bit of time to clean up some surface rust and paint a bit

in the car

IMG_20150220_124223992_zpsjqoxtu6e.jpg

on the ground, that should only be two pieces

IMG_20150220_125448854_HDR_zpsb0t4itzj.jpg

what it sort of should look like

IMG_20150220_125502232_HDR_zpsdqbxjiwg.jpg

the new lower insulator

IMG_20150220_150246724_zpsbi4o2h1y.jpg

the diameter is way too big to even be a press fit, the book says just to use a lubricant. not even close. this needs shaved down but you cant really mess with it because inside must be an updated metal ring or plastic ring as its extremely solid.

OK don't buy the dorman kit. Google part numbers 14088025 and 14088026. That is the upper and lower insulators. I had to order online those are the part numbers from my original rubber. Good luck hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...