Power Loss & Shudder/Missfire in Overdrive - 93 Regal

GrandRegal

Hi guys, I'm having a problem with my 1993 3800 series I buick regal. The car was sitting for 6 weeks and when I returned it has noticeable power loss and has a horrible shudder/missfire when shifting into overdrive. The car sounds fine at idle and drives ok in drive but still lacks power. I have read that it could different things, ignition system, tps, fuel injectors/pump, torque convertor, etc. Any ways to rule any of these problems out or personal experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks, John

My '93 Lumina 3.4 had a shudder/power loss in OD (4th gear). It took so much more throttle to maintain speed that it would kick-down to "drive" from "overdrive". After a short time, the trans totally failed, and has park, neutral, no drive forward, and no drive in reverse. As if it had "park" and six neutrals.

At this point, the thing has been sitting, un-repaired, for over a year. Trans fluid still looks reasonably nice. I think there's an internal failure in drums or sprags or some other hard-part. I just don't have the ambition to fix it.

Thanks for the reply Schurkey. The problem turned out to be a bad ignition coil. Changed it out and everything was back to normal. This is the second time i've had a coil fail when then car sat for more than a couple weeks.

You might want to think about a tune up with a new set of plugs and wires as well since it turned out to be the ignition coil, might even replace that last one or get ready to if the others have already gone.

Hey Schurkey, did you ever try any Lucas stop slip or TransX on your transmission? Ive had a bit of luck with the TransX but I believe its only a bandaid on something needing a transplant.