Can I use this trans?

94GrandPrix

So I need to replace the transmission in my GP. It's a '94 SE 3100 v6 w/ the 4t60e. I'm assuming i can use any 4t60e from any W body from '94-'95 as long as it is equipped with the 3100 v6. I could be wrong about that though?

What are some things I should look for in a junkyard transmission, other than low(ish) miles. I was going to drop the pan in any trans I deem may be suitable for my car to look for excessive clutch material or any abnormalities (burnt fluid, chunks of metal, etc). I was also going to replace all shift solenoids for added insurance.

Thanks in advance guys!

So I need to replace the transmission in my GP. It's a '94 SE 3100 v6 w/ the 4t60e. I'm assuming i can use any 4t60e from any W body from '94-'95 as long as it is equipped with the 3100 v6. I could be wrong about that though?

What are some things I should look for in a junkyard transmission, other than low(ish) miles. I was going to drop the pan in any trans I deem may be suitable for my car to look for excessive clutch material or any abnormalities (burnt fluid, chunks of metal, etc). I was also going to replace all shift solenoids for added insurance.

Thanks in advance guys!

Should safe on that interchange......tho i think theres a couple more years you can use

Thanks in advance guys!

I've beat this topic a couple times so let me sum it up for you.... 91-93 trans are slightly different, I believe the PWM is on the outside and not the inside, and I also think they don't interchange with the 3100s. 3100s are similar from 94-97, just verify the trans is the same. You want one that has the Vacuum modulator (big issue) and the round connector to the trans. Take a pic of your current trans and go from there.

Also, look on car-part.com . I found a low mileage trans for my Cutty out of a 95 Monte Carlo. Works perfect. Just had to travel up to PA but worth it.

Almost certain a 91-93 will have issues with TCC lockup, something about the way the ECM commands the TCC. If you have the option, I would use a 94-95 like you said shouldn't have any issues, except from a 94 lumina, I think those were still the old style as I know they didn't get the 3100.

Picking out trans suck imo. I bought a supposedly good tranny from a friend once. Looked good, fluid clean, low miles. Put it in, no 4th gear :(

Finding a used trans from any 94-95 w body isn't going to be a problem here, as a used trans for a u pull it is about $100 ($75 plus a core charge) and there are several of them.

I planned on checking it thoroughly and replacing the shift solenoids, lock up solenoid, etc.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Just wanted to be sure about properly matching up the trans.