New(ish) 2006 Impala

Firen81

Hey Guys,

If any of you remember, last year my 98 Lumi LTZ met an unfortunate end with the back of a Nissan Rogue. ICBC gave me $1700 to go look at a new car. After hunting for about 2 weeks, I came across a silver 2006 Impala SS with about 160000km for $7500. No accidents, and it looked well maintained. I picked it up and its been quite fun. In the crazyness that is my Daughter coming into the world, and moving out of my place with the roommate to the one with my wonderful wife, I have had NO time to post.

So pictures to follow, but I have some updates already.

Car is fun as hell. I got the nickname at work "Road Troll" as I have had some serious fun screwing with everything from Civics to mustangs, and going to tuner meets to scare the locals there. Going to the "Rev Scene" meets here in Vancouver have been fun. When you line up with an Impala SS, the first question I get is why are you in line with this grandpa car. Next one is where did you get that engine swap done. Overall, I get too much enjoyment confusing the locals, and happily refer to the car as "The Abomination".

Enough about enjoyment, now for the go fast conversation:

Being my daily, I don't plan to make a 600hp tire shredder. I also have a young daughter, so throwing the car around with her in it would make my wife kill me. However, I get creative license on doing some things to it, so here are the plans as follows:

Full suspension upgrade, following the following build on LS1 Tech with some slight material change:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-performance/1456342-impala-ss-bilstein-bmr-zz-gxp-suspension-upgrades-done.html

Rim and tire upgrade (19" Koing Integrams in black, probably some Michelin pilot A/S 3s to match)

Cold air intake via Cold Air inductions:

http://www.coldairinductions.com/store/cold-air-intakes/chevrolet/impala/v8-5-3l/2006?___SID=U

Full exhaust swap from magnaflow and Doug thorley (looks discontinued, but you never know what might pop up)

ECU Tune

and finally, the transmission. This is where I have the most problem. Getting TEP to do the trans will cost a fortune for me to get one sent up, however, there's a couple trans shops up here I have looking into doing some work on it to handle the mods. I gave them all a 450hp handle limit, I want to see if any of them are confident they can work with it. I may get one of them to talk to TEP and see what needs to be done properly to get that always sought after comfort and performance balance. I know the trans will be the first thing to do however, as these cars are known for nuking them around the KMs I have now, so do now before I'm left stranded on the side of the highway.

Any thoughts?:dance:

Awesome upgrade list. I would suggest using Addco poly bushings instead of Energy Suspension as they don't squeak. I finally got Addco's for the front and rear sway bars on my '94 CS vert because I got tired of the squeaking, in fact it's been 6 or 7 months and I completely forgot about them.

Wow, that is an impressive suspension build. That car sits super nice after all of that.

Best of luck with everything, I hope it all works out! I'd love to do that to my wife's Impala...

First Guess: You might as well flush >$250 down the toilet. Until you prove that the OEM airbox with a clean air filter actually produces a restriction--and restriction indicators are about $20 new, near free at a salvage yard--there's no use even thinking about this half-engineered crap. You could use an ordinary vacuum gauge, but you'd have to use a long hose so you can read it in the vehicle at WFO, max RPM to do any good--and the larger the diameter gauge you use, the better.

31SFFOvJHZL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0014BI1KA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=31ORN63IXRW6M&coliid=I3V3BM8G6HLPEX

Edited by Schurkey

In MOST cases, so-called CAI systems are a waste, IF you're looking for notable performance gains, particularly if there aren't significant engine mods. However, if it's just a look you're after, it's your money--just don't expect too much other than you like the way it looks.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen a lot of complaints about the 5.3l intakes being restrictive, and the k & n intakes being just show pieces. However, flow meter advise is taken, when it comes time I'll let you guys know.

However, my trans problem just came to head. Looks like I'm going to do the stage 1 kit from TEP, just need to find a guy to put it all together.

I suggest you save your money for diapers, formula and a good car seat... and use your spare time to catch up on sleep. No time to post means less time to tinker. Car runs fine as is, if you must, get a Diablo tuner... It's the best bang for the buck. Also throw a catch can on there BC the ls4's pcv system and the DOD cause oil consumption. I lose a quart of oil every 2500 miles and some people lose a quart every 1000. Tuning out DOD is the only known fix.

Congrats on the new car OP and also a cheers to V8 baby hauling! As noted above, I would get the DOD tuned out. My brother GXP he had would drink a quart of oil every 1-2K miles. It doesn't seem to make much of a difference in mileage unless you always have the cruise set at 55 on a long road trip for every time you drive it.