90 Turbo Grand Prix, I noticed redline, why does it go past redline?

GHOSTOWLGRID

The speedo and tach in these tends to screw up and read high, my speedo reads 10 higher than the hud, and my tach reads about 1000 higher than reality too. It is a problem that seems to get worse each month, one of these days I need to get my cluster rebuilt

The speedo and tach in these tends to screw up and read high, my speedo reads 10 higher than the hud, and my tach reads about 1000 higher than reality too. It is a problem that seems to get worse each month, one of these days I need to get my cluster rebuilt

Yeah, they pretty much all need rebuilt on these cars. All mine have been screwed up. Rob Saar on this forum fixes them affordably.

Yeah, they pretty much all need rebuilt on these cars. All mine have been screwed up. Rob Saar on this forum fixes them affordably.

Ok, that is good to hear.

Had me worried for a bit.

the 89-90 TGP and 90 GP clusters seem to be the worst offenders in that instead of subtle errors in calibration, they tend to go insanely wrong. the wife's 90GP cluster was somewhere in the range of showing 3X as high as it should have on the speedometer and tach. the 91-93 GP clusters either don't fail as badly or it just happens less often, I get far fewer questions/requests about them. the 88-89 half-digitals... I don't know, it's kind of rare to even see one at this point.

other w-body clusters have various issues as well.... I've noticed the 95-99 monte carlo/95-01 lumina clusters more often than not have accurate speedometers but their tachs read a bit high.

EDIT: assuming you're running a stock calibration, where does your tach say the engine is idling at when fully warmed up? you can get a good idea of how far off it is knowing that and where the idle speed is being commanded.

the 89-90 TGP and 90 GP clusters seem to be the worst offenders in that instead of subtle errors in calibration, they tend to go insanely wrong. the wife's 90GP cluster was somewhere in the range of showing 3X as high as it should have on the speedometer and tach. the 91-93 GP clusters either don't fail as badly or it just happens less often, I get far fewer questions/requests about them. the 88-89 half-digitals... I don't know, it's kind of rare to even see one at this point.

other w-body clusters have various issues as well.... I've noticed the 95-99 monte carlo/95-01 lumina clusters more often than not have accurate speedometers but their tachs read a bit high.

EDIT: assuming you're running a stock calibration, where does your tach say the engine is idling at when fully warmed up? you can get a good idea of how far off it is knowing that and where the idle speed is being commanded.

When it did idle correctly, it was about 3K rpm on the gauge but it was more like 1K ish.

I have to plug in the scanner to read out the real numbers.

It revved up because it has a high idle issue, it was about 2K-3K ish but the gauge was over 7K, so its definatly messed up.

Tue turbo gauge, speedometer, and everything else is messed up as well, none of it seems to be reading correctly.