96 cutty 3.1 problem

TylerEJ

My olds will start good but surges at like 1500 rpms then when I get on it the surging goes away it happens ecspeciqlly on take off like surging and lack of power it also shows the tranny slip code p1870 is that causing it ?

Edited by TylerEJ
More info

Check the fluid level and when is the last time the fluid and filter was changed?

Well I have been checking the fluid it's good but I the rpms move up and down erratically so I'm thinking motor problem ignition maybe I just have no check engineught to help diagnose and I just put a brand new maf sensor so maybe vacuum leak or ignition just wondering if any one has had same issue

Get that service engine light working, & get your hands on a scanner to see what's going on inside, without knowing the codes you're really just guessing (you've seen the trans code), the surge could be a vacuum leak, ignition miss doesn't really cause a surge, it would cause an intermittent or constant miss causing a minor fluctuation and you would hear that out the tailpipe, .......what condition are all the vacuum lines in?.......are there any rotted/deteriorated rubber connectors?

That trans code is as you stated a slipping situation, it's a difference in the input shaft rpm & the output shaft rpm when in 4th & the converter is locked up.

Well I have been checking the fluid it's good but I the rpms move up and down erratically so I'm thinking motor problem ignition maybe I just have no check engineught to help diagnose and I just put a brand new maf sensor so maybe vacuum leak or ignition just wondering if any one has had same issue

So you have a trouble code but no "check engine light?" That trouble code is a trans code, not engine. Hers a site that has exactly what AZs site says. http://www.dtcsearch.com/P1870/

Change the fluid and filter and add a bottle of Trans-X, its less than 10$ at any typical auto parts store. It will revitalize your internal seals and may help your trans last longer. I had a delayed shifting issue and a bottle of this cured the problem, or delayed for a year and some as Ive still not had any trans issues since then(the thread is around here somewhere if you want to read through it.)

I`d also start looking for vacuum leaks, like old or disconnected hoses, old grommets, maybe a failed or failing upper engine gasket like plenum(UIM) gasket, throttle body gasket, pcv valve etc. That is the #1 cause of erratic idle followed by countless other things.

Its not letting me edit posts but I wanted to add that if you have no power at the ALDL connection then that is your 1st priority.

Its not letting me edit posts but I wanted to add that if you have no power at the ALDL connection then that is your 1st priority.[/quote the engine has a bad knock could it be the knock sensor retarding the timing because yesterday on the free way it ran excellent I'll try unplugging it and running it
Edited by TylerEJ
More info