Taking good care of those fuel injectors ...

GM-midsize-guy

I am not a fan of that fuel system service GM dealers try to sell - from $75 to $99, where they put some cleaning compound through the fuel and induction system.

Right now, on a 2008 LaCrosse with a 3800 V6, I use branded fuel (Chevron, Shell, Texaco) some 90% of the time, don't let the tank go below 1/4 (because the fuel filter is in the tank),* and put in a bottle of Chevron Techron f.i. cleaner or STP concentrated f.i. cleaner every 5,000. So far, at under 50,000 miles, I'm still getting the EPA 30 mpg on the open road. Therefore, I told them I don't want this service. The last service adviser cleared all the recommended service items off my roster because I told him to do that and he knows I keep the car well maintained.

I wasn't even this diligent with my last Buick 3800 and the injectors went for as long as I owned it - about 275,000 miles.

Questions:

- Am I doing this right, as far as fuel and fuel injector cleaner?

- Can I put in the fuel injector cleaner more often - say every 3,000 miles, or is that excessive?

- What's up with those fuel system service packages? I'm worried they might send too much cleaner through the system and mess with the injectors. Has anyone had that service done?

Thanks.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. I like to run a bottle of STP through my fuel system on occasion to help clean it out, but I do not do it very often. Maybe once a year after my car has sat all winter with old gas in it. I would think 3000 miles is too much, and I would save your money.

I would not bother with a fuel system service package that sounds like a waste of money. With proper maintenance you should be able to run your stock injectors for a long time.

They probably use a STP, Chevron or Lucas product but just charge you a few toes and a finger to have it done through their system. Maybe twice a year I use the Lucas stuff and Ive never had an injector issue.

You should be fine. I add fuel injector cleaner every now and then. My recommendation would be to change your fuel filter at regular intervals. I have only had one fuel injector go bad on my 99 GP in 15 1/2 years. It developed a clog and started leaking.

I use branded fuel (Chevron, Shell, Texaco) some 90% of the time, don't let the tank go below 1/4 (because the fuel filter is in the tank),* and put in a bottle of Chevron Techron f.i. cleaner or STP concentrated f.i. cleaner every 5,000...

Questions:

- Am I doing this right, as far as fuel and fuel injector cleaner?

- Can I put in the fuel injector cleaner more often - say every 3,000 miles, or is that excessive?

- What's up with those fuel system service packages? I'm worried they might send too much cleaner through the system and mess with the injectors. Has anyone had that service done?

Thanks.

1. Techron is great stuff. You're using way too much of it. The GM training sessions I went to, they were advising to use the recommended dosage/gallon at each oil change. 5K isn't much of an oil change interval these days. I install a 20-oz (treats 20 gallons) bottle of Techron about every 13K in my Trailblazer.

2. Name-brand fuel doesn't mean you're getting the full and proper detergent additive package. You need to be using Top Tier fuel. Read the wikipedia entry for Top Tier gasoline:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Tier_Detergent_Gasoline

Licensed Top Tier Detergent Gasoline (TTDG) retailers use a higher level of detergent additives to help prevent the build-up of harmful engine deposits which may reduce fuel economy and optimal engine performance. According to an automotive industry spokesman, the regular use of this type of gasoline results in improved engine life.

3. Overuse of Techron and other fuel system cleaners probably does no damage, but does no good, either. It's just wasted.

4. First Guess: The $70--$99 fuel system cleaning services the stealership offers is 90% pure profit. Again, not harmful, but generally not needed either.

I've had various components of my car's fuel system open a number of times, including the fuel rail (to do the LIM), the fuel tank/pump (to replace the pulsator/fuel pump/strainer), fuel filter (regular maintenance), etc. Not once have I encountered any instances of the sort of 'contamination' alleged by the vendors of the fuel additives or injection cleaning services to be commonplace. And I use the cheapest petrol possible.

So keep your bucks and spend it on real maintenance/repairs, not the sort of snake oil that even relatively reputable sources might tell you to.