Steering Wheel

TravisP

What year did the Lumina get the steering wheel with the radio controls on it? How hard would it be to convert one that doesn't have it if I can get the wheel and wiring harness?

If its a 95+ the steering wheel for the 95-99 Monte Carlo will also work. I now the introduced the SWRC in the 96 model year in the Montes, figured it would be the same in the Luminas.

The SWRC and non SWRC wheels have different clocksprings. You have to get the clockspring and the wiring harness that goes towards the radio for it to work. I've seen them more often on Monte Carlos but not Luminas, however as we already know, they're the same car just different doors. You can also get the steering wheel and clockspring from a 2000-2002 Camaro. Yes, they are the SAME wheel. The steering wheel in the Lumina outlived the car itself.

Thank you guys! I saw one in a salvage yard on the same 3.4 Lumina that I got the throttle body off of, I'll have to back and see if it is still there. I didn't even know they came with that option until saw that one.

• 1 month later...

You can use pretty much any Chevy/Buick/Olds/Pontiac steering wheel of the same vintage. You'll need to get the corresponding airbag as well.

As far as the clockspring goes, here's a write-up on how to swap it out on a GMT400 truck:

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?1073-How-to-95-98-OBS-and-99-02-NBS-Steering-Wheel-Audio-Control-Install

The wiring instructions would be the same.

Here's my write-up on how to get the clockspring out of a Gen 1/1.5 W-Body:

http://tss.likeabigdog.com

Hope this helps!!!

The switch itself is the same, but there's a 4 or 5 wire harness coming off the main connector. You'd want to grab the switch assembly, or you could bring some tiny jeweler's screwdriver and a pin to pop that harness out of the main switch connector and transplant it to the existing switch connector. Whichever is easier.

You won't need to change out the signal switch, as the pinouts for the steering wheel control wires in the bulkhead connector will be absent. Just run your new wires for the SWC's directly from the clockspring to their corresponding location (radio, power, ground, illumination.)

• Wiring Info:

1. Cut the plug from the SIR coil and connect 4 wires to it, long enough to run to your stereo. I used OEM colors for simplicity.

At the clockspring:

Black - Ground

Grey - Dash light
    +12v

Green - Keyed power

Yellow - Data wire

At the radio connector:

Pin 5 – Black – Ground

Pin 7 – Grey – Dash Lights +12v

Pin 9 – Dk Green – Keyed +12v

Pin 14 – EMPTY - Remote Radio Control

2. Splice your ground, power and lights into your
    however you choose. The Yellow signal wire goes to a pin in the radio plug that is empty. I shoved it in the socket and taped it in.