TravisP

Anyone willing to share who is doing your tuning? I have a '96 3.1 Lumina that we tried a '97 computer with a tune on it and it wouldn't run. I put the '96 back in and it runs without any codes, but you can tell it is less than ideal. If you want particulars on the motor you can look at my profile. Basically It has ported heads, upper and lower intake, and a performance cam. The only one in my area that I would trust to dyno tune it is booked and the mail order I referred to didn't work. I have a stall converter and it runs great once you hit part throttle. I know I can't expect stock bottom end, but I know with tuning it can be better. If anyone has any suggestions on what trouble codes need to be disabled to make the '97 work it would be greatly appreciated:biggrin:

Edited by TravisP

which 97 calibration were you trying to run? one loaded with a MC/lumina/CS calibration should work without changes. a GP/century calibration might not like the lack of BCM.

The computer came out of a '97 MC with a 3.1 liter. I forgot to mention that I also upgraded to 24 lb/hr injectors and a 55psi regulator instead of the earlier model 45psi to match the injectors. I also plan on headers and CAI, but I don't know if I should do it now because it could be better or it could compound the problem while I am still running on the stock computer. Ben is working hard to make things right for me, so if I get his next tune and it runs, the headers and CAI will go on since that is what he is tuning it for.

Edited by TravisP

The lower intake is from a 2000 Malibu and the upper is from a '99 Monte for the bigger ports and both are ported. It also has a 56mm throttle body (ported) off of a 3.4 instead of the 3.1 52mm.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone used Sinister Performance for their tuning? I was prepared to do a stock rebuild if I couldn't get a tune that would work with the engine build that I wanted to do. Ben at WOT Tech assured me that he could make a '97 computer work in a '96. So now I have components that I bought from WOT Tech that cannot work to their full potential because I am having to run the stock computer for it to run at all. The computer that he tuned had the motor running very rough and as soon as you would put it in gear it would die. The only thing that coded was Bank 1 Sensor 2 no activity, which would not explain why it was running like it did. I talked with him about the situation and he asked me to switch the KR modules in the two computers, which made no difference whatsoever. I sent the computer back to him and set it so that it would report no codes. This did not change anything either. I bought the service manuals for both years of Lumina and the pinouts are exactly the same, which makes me think it should be plug and play. Ben seems to be to the point that he wants to leave me twisting in the wind. The fact that it does run with no codes on the stock computer and the pinouts are all correct, it must be something with the tuned computer. Since I don't have HP Tuners and cannot see what is actually going on inside the computer, and getting little support from Ben, I need to do something. Chris at Wichita Dyno is months out from being able to do it, if he decides to do it at all. I found Sinister Performance online and they tune a lot of different engines and seem to know what they are doing. Any suggestions if I should give them a shot?

Edited by TravisP

Odd that the rear O2 error reporting was left enabled the first time. Is the timing right mechanically? Like the timing chain I mean? A vacuum leak will piss a PCM off too.

Timing is correct, I even dialed it in with a degree wheel. As far as vacuum leaks, I have been over the motor multiple times checking everything. I also re-torqued all bolts that I could get to after the motor had warmed up and then again after 200 miles, when I changed the oil for the second time. All of the codes were still enabled when I got the computer the first time. It doesn't code with the stock computer.

Edited by TravisP