New Rear Lateral Spring

XJ-Wagon

Newb here, just posted in new member intros. I have a 93 Cutlass Supreme S 2 door and thanks to GOT 2B GM all ready have a RSTB & some ST front Springs, so I was planning on getting a new Flex-A Form rear spring. Thinking of a 180 - 200 lb spring rate? Does that seem about right? I was also reading up and it seems that Birchmount has better reviews? Are they Noisy? How much heavier are they?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Might as well do a rear coil over conversion. I haven't seen anyone mention a lowering leaf spring on hear in a long time, a rear coil over conversion has always been the desired route. I`m hoping to do one myself one of these days but I don't have the parts for the front just yet. 200lbs might be a little too soft IIRC.

Check out the locked thread titled "How to lower a W-body" at the top of the suspension section for a start off point, there are also several other conversion threads out there as well.

My Flex-A-Form rear spring is a perfect height match for the ST front springs. Spring rate is 185-lb. I've had it for over 8-years now, no problems whatsoever, no noise.

I called flex-form, he was helpful but not sure about spring rates and with a 2 month wait time I decided to call Birchmount. Tony Vidinovski at Birchmount fed-ex'd me a spring for a 2" drop the next day. Very easy, fast, great service.

Edited by XJ-Wagon

Just out of interest -- can you buy these after-market springs in a "stock" form, height, etc.? Without lowering? Is it just a matter of specifying such, or is there something that inherently makes the after-market steel springs more suited to lowering applications?

Just out of interest -- can you buy these after-market springs in a "stock" form, height, etc.? Without lowering? Is it just a matter of specifying such, or is there something that inherently makes the after-market steel springs more suited to lowering applications?

I would use one of the two flex-a-form springs I got for my lowered tgp, but I have a sub in the trunk and always haul groceries in it for work. like stuff the car with tons of weight. so that could be bad on a performance lowering spring unless it was steel which of course is heavier. I unfortunately, use the car more like a truck so I cant use them.

I use the red tgp with the stock spring and load it down all the time and it takes it so far. unless I try to drive it with 5 people inside which is always dumb.

Edited by Garrett Powered

The Flex-A-Form 300lb spring was about stock height on my car, though my car was pretty high before, like a 4x4. The earlier W's had a higher stock height.

Although if you're looking for stock height, a junkyard spring would be considerably cheaper. If you're concerned about sag, the earlier FE3 springs (88-89) never seemed to sag.

Yes you can purchase an after-market spring in stock form. You would just have to specify that when ordering. I just made the purchase from Birchmount for a steel spring, because they are very familiar with the set up on the older w-body lateral spring and new exactly what I wanted. It seemed like more guess work with flex-form. The steel spring is going to be maybe 30 lbs.? heavier.