1st gen 3800 header firewall mod pic

l67ss

Miko k used a set of alp headers on his cutlass back in the day. All he said was they needed some serious heat to bend the primaries down an inch or 2 and then move move the flex pipe under the car. If you search through his posts and xrtremerevelutions posts you'll see the pics of the headers...there will also be pics of the firewall in xttrmes 95page build thread.

I think it will be pretty self-explanatory when you go to install them. I believe the guys a few years ago running headers simply took a hammer to the "exhaust tunnel" area and dented it in enough to be able to clear the headers. I guess Miko was one of the first to heat/bend the headers rather than go the hammer route.

I think it will be pretty self-explanatory when you go to install them. I believe the guys a few years ago running headers simply took a hammer to the "exhaust tunnel" area and dented it in enough to be able to clear the headers. I guess Miko was one of the first to heat/bend the headers rather than go the hammer route.

Since im using s and s headers with fairly small tubing so ill prolly just do the sledgehammer method lol

The angle is quite a bit off, even if you destroy your firewall. You're better off leaving it alone and taking the car to a good welder/fabrication shop. You know, people who don't meet you with the words "it can't be done". A 10ft bar, an acetylene torch+ cherry red glowing header= easy bending. You might as well cut the downpipe off right after the merge collector after bending and begin piecing it back together to suit your particular car. Forget the MIG welder, find someone with a TIG and 308L stainless filler rod. Do it right the first and only time.

The angle is quite a bit off, even if you destroy your firewall. You're better off leaving it alone and taking the car to a good welder/fabrication shop. You know, people who don't meet you with the words "it can't be done". A 10ft bar, an acetylene torch+ cherry red glowing header= easy bending. You might as well cut the downpipe off right after the merge collector after bending and begin piecing it back together to suit your particular car. Forget the MIG welder, find someone with a TIG and 308L stainless filler rod. Do it right the first and only time.

One detail I forgot to mention is they have already been modified some. Crossover and front header are 1 piece, it has a welded downpipe flange. They were installed in a 2000 gtp with plenty of clearance(aside from upstream o2) and I didnt notice any hammer marks on the firewall

Bumpin96monte has a couple pics, but basically you beat in the upper firewall and cut out the "hump" in the tunnel. I'm getting some SSAC's soon, but gonna have a shop cut the header before the flex and make a custom downpipe for me...If I can find someone that will do it. If not, I may end up shelling out for some TOGs and go ahead and yank the engine out.

• 4 weeks later...