Arkin

hello from Ukraine, people

I'm new here, as I'm new with W-body. Bought a 1993 Z34 coupe.

Got some issues with my DOHC - it starts really tough, we thought we got starter or battery problems but when took off the transmission and tryed manually rotate the engine - it revealed there is some point where we have to apply much strength to pass it, then it goes smooth, but then again that tough point. We are going to open the engine to see what's up there of course but I keep a Plan B in mind.

Plan B :

we got a 1994 Trans Sport in town, 3.8L, so are there any issues to bolt that 3.8 into my coupe? I can get the engine and all stuff under the hood including computer.

By the way, do I got a 4t60 or 4t60E in 1993 z34?

thanx

Welcome to the forum!

Not sure if this symptom just occured or not, but I know when my dad bought his 93 Z34 Lumina the previous owners timed the cams incorrectly causing the starter to slowely kill itself trying to turn the motor over.

Being a 93 your car has the 4T60E.

Welcome to the forum!!

Check the timing and check compression. 93s are somewhat tough to kill because they're not interference engines. 96 and 97 were and will bend valves if you don't time it right or let the timing belt go.

There is many ways to swap in a 3800 engine, however it would be more wise to get a newer 3800 and convert the car to OBD2. Not sure how easy that would be in the Ukraine as GM didn't officially export many American cars to Europe since Opel is there and all.

B7cfIGMsMbY.jpg

thanx for answers, men

looks like the chain and tensioner are in bad shape there

though still choosing between changing chain and all gaskets (without total rebuilding), giving the second chance to lq1, or to put 3.8 instead

there are few questions 'bout 3.8 (series I) :

1) will I face the problem with bolting it on underframe, or other installation problems?

2) what about attaching my stock transmission to it? the 3.8 is from '94 transsport, the transmission is the same but there might be other transmission bell?

3) if I get all wiring and computer stuff with 3.8 - there is nothing to worry about electrics?

thanx again

Edited by Arkin

B7cfIGMsMbY.jpg

thanx for answers, men

looks like the chain and tensioner are in bad shape there

though still choosing between changing chain and all gaskets (without total rebuilding), giving the second chance to lq1, or to put 3.8 instead

there are few questions 'bout 3.8 (series I) :

1) will I face the problem with bolting it on underframe, or other installation problems?

2) what about attaching my stock transmission to it? the 3.8 is from '94 transsport, the transmission is the same but there might be other transmission bell?

3) if I get all wiring and computer stuff with 3.8 - there is nothing to worry about electrics?

thanx again

3800 bolt right in, if you are wanting to use a 4t60 use the donor trans, youll also need a 96 regal harness and a pcm tuned for ur gears

And why not using the obd wiring from transsport? According to wiki, all transsports with 3.8 were equipped with 4speed automatic, so the obd has to be fine for my lumina too? If the transmissons are really the same

The accesoriues on the transport are different from the Lumina. You can't connect the harness because the OBD system is used for other things, like SES lights, gauges, etc.

You have to get the MEMCAL out of the donor car and put it in the computer box (Robert Saar can explain) and you need the 96 Regal harness if you're swapping to 3800 S2. If you're swapping to S1, you can use a 93 Regal. The reason for this is because of the connections with the C100. The wiring that goes there feeds the wiring in the cabin.

Seems to me it would be easier to just replace the timing belt and tensioner. Unless I am.missing that you want to put the 3800in. Its a non interface motor for that year so there would be no damage to the valave train with a belt sliping..unless she is knocking it should be fine...I would think yiu woyld have a hard time sourcing parts.

if I were to L27 swap a LQ1 car.... I would just grab the entire C100 harness along with engine/trans from an identical year regal, that is going to be the least intensive way of going about it. very little electrical work would need done and the engine/trans would drop in place.

start mixing too much stuff up and the calibration is going to need some serious rework to get it running/driving normally.

• 3 weeks later...

hello again

ok I've forgotten bout swapping. Better fix the lq1 masterpiece

I'm waiting for some parts, the main issue for now is set the correct timing. Seems like that was the only problem for previous owners

I got AllData, it tells I need special tools to do that. 75$ averaged price for it, anyway I can't get it

So I need info on how to adjust timing without it. Got some diagrams here. What else do I have to know? The piston upper dead points, right? What is the function of those triangular brackets called "special tool"?

thanx

post-11238-143689174916_thumb.jpg

post-11238-143689174925_thumb.jpg

The special tool locks the cams down in the proper position with cylinder 1 at top dead center (crankshaft timing mark lined up).

Here is one on ebay with Ukraine listed for shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KENT-MOORE-J-38613-CAMSHAFT-TIMING-CLAMPS-TOOL-SET-66-/251737403631?hash=item3a9cb7f0ef&item=251737403631&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr#shpCntId

Both banks are not done at the same time. Tighten one bank's camshafts, remove the tool for that bank, rotate the engine 180 degrees back to TDC, and then tighten the cams on the other bank. Tightening both banks at the same time without rotating the engine 180 degrees will cause a best a 3 cylinder misfire, and at worst destroy the engine.