96' Lumina 3.4 starting issues! Will not crank, but then randomly will within 5min.

chadz34

Hey guys and gals, it's been a while!

UPDATE: I gave my 1996 Chev Lumina 3.4 to my parents 3 years ago and its been great, but recently it's been acting up. When you turn the key, the starter does not operate (DOES NOT CRANK) 35% of the time. The other 65% of the time it starts PERFECTLY. We replaced the starter (clearly didn't need one). It still will not start every time. I read there is two wires I should be checking in the key cylinder for the Theft system sound like the next step? I was driving it the other day and the SECURITY light was on the dash the 1 of 3 times I started it. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

yeah, the VATS/PASSKEY II system is acting up.... for a quick-fix, you can force it into fail-enable mode by pulling the 2-pin connector that is responsible for the key-cylinder contacts after the engine has been running for a minute or so. the security light will then be lit up at all times that the key is rolled forward, but the system won't quit locking you out.

that's the first failure mode the PK2 module has, after that it can quit operating the starter disable(enable) relay, quit sending the "allow fuel" signal to the PCM or both.

lInvQQR.png

using that as a guide and going off of memory, expect to see it about a foot away from the bottom column in a bright orange, rectangular, hard "sheath". it's a pretty unique section of wire.

start it, let it run for a minute, unplug the connector, let it run for at least another minute, then shut it off and leave it unplugged. at that point, the module should stay in fail-enable mode permanently. the module does execute a timer after it notices the connection unplugged, if you shut it off without the timer running out, it won't go to fail-enable and the next time you try to start it, it won't crank.

if you're really paranoid, give it more time before each step.

start it, let it run for a minute, unplug the connector, let it run for at least another minute, then shut it off and leave it unplugged. at that point, the module should stay in fail-enable mode permanently. the module does execute a timer after it notices the connection unplugged, if you shut it off without the timer running out, it won't go to fail-enable and the next time you try to start it, it won't crank.

if you're really paranoid, give it more time before each step.

Awesome, will get this done this weekend! Thank you Robert.