Shift Lever Hard To Move When Cold

urbex

Alright, so I had this problem last year but it went away after it got warm and I forgot about it until now that the problem came back. When it's cold outside it's relatively hard to shift the car. As in, the lever is hard to move. It feels like something is binding or something. If the car has been in the warm garage over night it's fine, but after sitting outside for a while it's hard to shift again. I'm assuming something needs to be lubed. Just wondered if anyone has any ideas what though? Something in the column I'm guessing?

I did try lubricating the linkage on top of the trans...it seemed to help a little but not much. Of course there really isn't a good way to get much grease up in it. Wasn't sure if there's anything else I could try greasing, or if I should just plan on having to replace the linkage in the near future?

the MC has been this way for a long time....

I shot some spray silicone into the plastic ball thingy in the column(had to drop it at least a few inches, along with pulling the cluster) and after working it back and forth a few times, it loosened up considerably. I think I may use some spray lithium this time since it lasted about a year before tightening up again.

Determination got the best of me. I had to fix it tonight. I was able to remove the trim panel around the cluster and spray the ball socket and the bracket that moves with it with white lithium grease, now it moves like it should. Simple enough. Thanks Saar!

I've seen another cause of hard shifting when cold--moisture in the shift cable freezes. Makes it near impossible to move the shift lever until engine/exhaust heat warms the cable enough to melt the ice.

Determination got the best of me. I had to fix it tonight. I was able to remove the trim panel around the cluster and spray the ball socket and the bracket that moves with it with white lithium grease, now it moves like it should. Simple enough. Thanks Saar!

that's easier than I remember it being, never a bad thing. :thumbsup: