Engine good to run or pull heads?

superchargedintrigue

• Bought an l67 with 80,000 miles out of a 04 park avenue ultra. It sat for a year before i bought it. Supposedly it ran very well, but I see rust on valves 1,3 and 5. When i pulled the exhaust manifold. 2,4 and 6 look great. What should I do? Thanks for any insight.

post-11149-143689173144_thumb.jpg

post-11149-143689173134_thumb.jpg

post-11149-143689173162_thumb.jpg

post-11149-143689173184_thumb.jpg

post-11149-1436891732_thumb.jpg

post-11149-143689173212_thumb.jpg

I talked to a few people about this recently. The concenous was to spray oil on everything and run the engine. Change the oil fequently to remove contaminants as the engine runs it should break that rust down.

I just started up an engine that sat for 34 years. I did a lot of prep work, but pulling the heads was not part of it. Runs just as good as 34 years ago too.

Deposits on those valves are perfectly normal. I wouldn't worry about anything. Fire it up and let 'er run. Any gunk that is eventually liberated from those passages will just end up being blown out the exhaust anyways, although we're talking about very small quantities anyways.

I personally wouldn't even bother with the frequent oil changes. Maybe an initial oil change, just so you know the oil is fresh, but otherwise, stick with the manufacturers' schedule.

Edited by pitzel

I'd shoot those valves with some Pb blaster and let it soak a couple hours, then mop it up with some paper towels and maybe even try to knock some of the rust loose with a brush. Flush the port out with some carb cleaner, and run it. Most of the crap will blow out the exhaust, but I would still do an oil change soon thereafter.

do these engines really need valve seals at 80,000? or do they look like they oil is leaking past them. I couldn't tell.

No, the 3800 is as bulletproof as they come. There's always going to be a little bit of oil and/or combustion vapour that comes back into the intake through the PCV/EGR/crankcase breather. Its no big deal. Way too much worries in this thread!