Eliminate ABS?

Imp558

A buddy of mine is building a Camero up and is purchasing a kit to eliminate ABS and do Line Lock at the same time. While I'm not particularly interested in line lock I do think it would be cool to remove the ABS and purchase a less expensive master cylinder for it. Does anybody know of a master/ proportioning valve from another vehicle that may be close enough to replace ours. I mean physically install.

A buddy of mine is building a Camero up and is purchasing a kit to eliminate ABS and do Line Lock at the same time. While I'm not particularly interested in line lock I do think it would be cool to remove the ABS and purchase a less expensive master cylinder for it. Does anybody know of a master/ proportioning valve from another vehicle that may be close enough to replace ours. I mean physically install.

Why are you asking a Camaro question on a W-body forum?

If the ABS is working properly, you're extremely unlikely to actually improve the braking performance by scalping the ABS off the vehicle.

If the ABS is not working properly, you're best off to fix it properly, than to bypass it--assuming that replacement parts are available.

If you remove the ABS, you're likely to need more than the proportioning valve to make the new system work properly. I'd expect you'll need a safety switch, and a distribution block as well--although that may depend on how many outlet ports the replacement master cylinder has.

Why are you asking a Camaro question on a W-body forum?

It wasn't a camaro question, he was just saying that his buddy is doing it on his camaro, and now Tom wants to do it on his car.

It wasn't a camaro question, he was just saying that his buddy is doing it on his camaro, and now Tom wants to do it on his car.

A buddy of mine is building a Camero up and is purchasing a kit to eliminate ABS and do Line Lock at the same time. While I'm not particularly interested in line lock I do think it would be cool to remove the ABS and purchase a less expensive master cylinder for it.

What "it" is he referring to? Nowhere in his entire post does he mention a W-body, or use the words "my car". I take this as he is wanting to purchase a less-expensive master cylinder for "it", meaning the Camaro he actually referenced in the first sentence.

Does anybody know of a master/ proportioning valve from another vehicle that may be close enough to replace ours. I mean physically install.

Reinforced by saying "ours", which I take to mean himself and his buddy, whom he also referenced in his first sentence, while not referencing anyone else who might own a W-body.

Of course I mean the Regal, I clearly stated there's a kit coming to do the Camero.

Our (W-Body for those of you whom are still confused) ABS isn't bad but I really don't care for ABS in General. And it's (W-Body ABS System) big and ugly to boot. I owned 7 non ABS cars before the Regal and lived to tell about it, now it's my preferance.

On the Regal, it shouldn't (in theory) be complicated. It might be a lot of work running replacement brake lines and removing anything else in the way of getting the MC and brake lines out, also bleeding brakes is always a PITA, but you'd basically just remove ABS master cylinder & modulator assembly, replace with non-ABS master cylinder. You'd need to replace the hard brake lines as they are in different locations on the master cylinder. Maybe you could make some short brake line adapters instead if you don't want to replace the hard lines.

The non-ABS master cylinder has proportioning valve integrated and separate outputs to each of the 4-wheels just like the ABS master+modulator assembly, so that makes it much simpler.

The ABS and non-ABS master cylinder are actually almost identical except I believe the non-ABS has threaded outlets where brake lines directly screw in and the ABS version has smooth outlets where little adapter tubes press into.