Cleaning oil varnish off valve cover gasket surfaces

GnatGoSplat

Pulled the valve covers off 3.4 DOHC. Was going to replace the gaskets while I have the plenum off. There is a very thin oil varnish ridge on either side of where the rubber gasket would have been on the cam carrier. I've been trying to clean it off and scrubbing with a rag and lacquer thinner, but the rough edge of the aluminum is shaving off rag lint and falling into the cams, good thing I was going to change the oil anyway. Not to mention it's back-breaking work, spent an hour and only have the front one halfway clean, rear one I'm sure will be even harder to reach. I don't want to make an 8-hour project out of something that should take 10-minutes tops.

What product do you guys recommend that will make easy work of this? Been looking through O'Reilly website and all I see are engine degreasers.

i would go with acetone instead of lacquer thinner... acetone does a damn good job of dissolving petroleum products.

also, perhaps an old sponge with a scrubbing pad(or some scotch-brite?) would be better than a rag? either one are going to get destroyed running up against a sharp edge but the pad may do a better job faster.

Thanks, I might have some of that to try. Ran out of daylight and can't see, unfortunately. Damn standard time. :cussing: Tried carb cleaner and brake parts cleaner. Works better than lacquer thinner, but still requires some scrubbing. Was hoping for some spray-on, wipe-off stuff. :lol: The older I get, the lazier I get.